Jett's late basket lifts Saint Louis over La SalleFeb 9, 2014 - 6:12 AM Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordair Jett drove to the lane through three La Salle players to net the game-winning layup with 3.7 seconds left to give No. 13 Saint Louis a 65-63 victory over the Explorers on Saturday.
Jett scored 19 of his 25 points in the second half. Dwayne Evans added 14 points for the Billikens (22-2, 9-0 A-10), who have won 16 straight for the first time in a single-season.
Jerrell Wright netted 21 and had eight rebounds, and Steve Zack scored 15 points and grabbed 13 boards for the Explorers (12-11, 4-5), who have lost five of their last six. Tyreek Duren contributed 14 points in the defeat.
"I'm still shocked with how infinitesimally small the difference between winning and losing is," head coach John Giannini said. "Just one play changes everything."
Tyrone Garland's half-court shot hit high off the backboard as the buzzer sounded.
Jett poured in 15 of the last 17 points for Saint Louis through the final 11- plus minutes.
Wright scored six straight under four minutes into the second half to give the Explorers their first lead of the contest at 38-37. The end of the personal run made it 40-37. The teams were tied at 48 after they traded baskets over the next 5 1/2 minutes.
Jett broke the tie as he scored 11 straight for the visitors, while Zack countered with six straight of his own. La Salle trailed, 61-54, with five minutes on the clock.
Garland brought the Explorers within a possession before Duren knocked down a trey to knot the game at 61 with over a minute left on the clock. Jett then made a jumper before Duren tied it again with a layup with under a half-minute remaining.
Saint Louis started the contest with a 17-8 burst under six minutes into the contest. La Salle closed out the half with a 13-4 run to knot the game at 33 after Duren went end-to-end and knocked down a jumper at the buzzer.
Duren moved into the fourth spot on the Explorers' all-time steals (215) list with three in the contest ... The Billikens own an 11-6 advantage in the series all-time and have won the last four ... The Billikens shot 47.2 percent (25-of-53) from the floor, while La Salle made 44.6 percent (22-of-56) of its field goals.
- ST. LOUIS: 65
LA SALLE: 63
Feb 8 7:03 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 33
LA SALLE: 33
Feb 8 5:50 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LA SALLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 8 5:07 PM
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- La Salle downs slumping VCU in double OT Feb 11
- Explorers seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Feb 11
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- Wichita State routs Saint Louis Dec 7
- Eighth-ranked Shockers set sights on Billikens Dec 6
- No. 10 Villanova tops Big 5 rival La Salle Dec 4
- La Salle seeks upset of No. 10 Villanova Dec 3