Texas Tech tops BaylorJan 16, 2014 - 5:17 AM Lubbock, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Jaye Crockett led a balanced Texas Tech scoring attack with 19 points, as the Red Raiders pulled off a surprising 82-72 triumph over No. 12 Baylor on Wednesday at United Spirit Arena.
Toddrick Gotcher registered 17 points, while Robert Turner and Dejan Kravic each netted 14 points for Texas Tech (9-8, 1-3 Big 12), which had lost 32 straight games against top-25 opponents, with the Red Raiders' last win over a ranked squad coming on Dec. 3, 2009 against Washington.
Kravic added nine rebounds and six assists, while Jordan Tolbert tallied 11 points to help Texas Tech earn its first conference win under first-year head coach Tubby Smith's guidance.
Kenny Chery registered a game-high 22 points and Taurean Prince poured in 13 points off the bench for the Bears (13-3, 1-2), who have dropped two of their last three games.
The Red Raiders used a hot-shooting first half to create a 21-point halftime spread, as the home team shot 62.1 percent (18-of-29) from the floor over the opening 20 minutes while holding Baylor to 25.9 percent (7-of-27) shooting.
Crockett carried the load in the early going, supplying nine of Texas Tech's first 15 points to help the team build a 15-6 lead under 7 1/2 minutes in.
Rico Gathers' layup with 4:26 left in the half had Baylor within 32-21, but the Bears failed to register a field goal the rest of the frame, allowing the Red Raiders to close the stanza on an 11-1 sprint that made it 43-22 at the break.
Texas Tech held Baylor at bay throughout the second half, never allowing the margin to dip below double-digits en route to the upset victory.
Baylor entered the contest 19-1 against in-state opponents since the start of the 2011-12 season ... Texas Tech improved to 8-3 at home this season ... The Red Raiders shot 57.1 percent from the field overall, while Baylor shot 41.3 percent from the field ... Texas Tech totaled 15 assists on 28 made baskets, while Baylor collected just six helpers on 26 made buckets.
- BAYLOR: 72
TEXAS TECH: 82
Jan 15 11:05 PM
- BAYLOR: 22
TEXAS TECH: 43
Jan 15 9:57 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
TEXAS TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 15 9:10 PM
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech aims for turnaround after 2 losing seasons Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13