Baylor keeps rolling, downs No. 16 Iowa StateMar 5, 2014 - 5:14 AM Waco, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Brady Heslip scored 15 of his 18 points in the second half to help Baylor take a 74-61 win over No. 16 Iowa State at Ferrell Center.
Heslip was 5-for-6 from 3-point range over the final 20 minutes after scoring all three of his first-half points from the free throw line.
Cory Jefferson led all scorers with 21 points and grabbed seven boards, while Kenny Chery chipped in 16 points and six assists off the bench for the Bears (20-10, 8-9 Big 12), winners in six of their last seven games.
"The guys always stuck together. What I mean by that is normally, when you're losing, people finger point and it turns into players versus players, players versus coaches, and we never really saw that. Everyone stuck together, believed in what we were doing and kept encouraging each other," said Baylor coach Scott Drew.
Baylor will close the regular season at Kansas State on Saturday.
DeAndre Kane scored 20 points and Dustin Hogue added 12 for the Cyclones (22-6, 10-7), losers in two straight.
ISU will host Oklahoma State on Saturday. With the loss, Iowa State fell into fourth place in the Big 12 standings.
The Cyclones took a 37-36 lead with Monte Morris' tip-in less than a minute into the second half, but seven straight points from Baylor, including back- to-back 3-pointers from Heslip, made it 43-37.
ISU eventually pulled within 46-45 when Hogue tipped in a Naz Long miss. It remained a one possession game from there until Heslip nailed a 3-ball with just over eight minutes remaining to give the hosts a 57-51 cushion.
The Cyclones used a 10-4 run to tie things up at 61-61 after Kane buried an open look from long-range with just over four minutes to go.
Heslip ended nearly a two-minute scoring drought with a 3-pointer to make it 64-61. Heslip received a pass from Isaiah Austin on the left wing and got his defender to bite on a pump fake before taking two dribbles to the corner and pulling up for the 3.
Chery then hit back-to-back jumpers for a seven-point lead and the Bears outscored ISU 6-0 from there to lock up the win.
"They switched back to their zone defense, and we just didn't make shots there in that last four-minute stretch," said ISU coach Fred Hoiberg.
Baylor led 36-35 after a closely contested opening frame.
Baylor improved to 9-2 all-time against Iowa State in Waco ... The home team has won 21 of the 23 regular season meetings in this series ... ISU's Melvin Ejim, who entered the game leading the Big 12 in scoring at 18.9 ppg, was held to just six points on 3-of-14 shooting.
- IOWA STATE: 61
Mar 4 8:53 PM
- IOWA STATE: 35
Mar 4 7:46 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 4 7:05 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18