Texas takes down No. 8 Iowa StateJan 19, 2014 - 4:24 AM Austin, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Jonathan Holmes matched his career high with 23 points to help Texas knock off No. 8 Iowa State 86-76 at the Frank Erwin Center.
Javan Felix scored 17 points and Cameron Ridley posted a 16-point, 11-rebound double-double for the Longhorns (14-4, 3-2 Big 12), who won their third straight game.
"This was a great win for us, no question. I really think that it was a really great team win for us. We didn't have one guy that didn't go in the game and make a contribution," said Texas coach Rick Barnes.
Iowa State, meanwhile, suffered its third consecutive loss after getting off to the best start in school history.
Georges Niang finished with 18 points, six assists and five rebounds for the Cyclones (14-3, 2-3), who last lost three in a row during the 2010-11 season. Melvin Ejim added 17 points and 10 boards as Iowa State fell to 1-11 all-time in Austin.
"We battled them. We came out with tremendous energy, but they [Texas] hit some shots early," said Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg. "We stuck with our plan to plug in gaps, we did a good job with that, but we could not pull away."
The teams started the second half tied at 36-36 and continued to go back and forth well into the frame before Texas began to take control.
The Longhorns went up 71-60 on a Ridley lay-in with about six minutes remaining. Felix sank four free throws over the next minute, giving Texas a 75-61 advantage.
Iowa State fought back and whittled its deficit to four on two occasions, but Texas made 6-of-8 free throws down the stretch.
The Cyclones missed their final four shots, including a trio of 3-pointers.
Isaiah Taylor was 1-of-7 shooting, but he sank a game-best nine free throws to finish with 12 points for Texas ... Ridley added five blocks ... DeAndre Kane was 3-of-12 shooting with 15 points for Iowa State ... The Longhorns improved to 13-9 against AP Top 10 opponents under Rick Barnes at the Frank Erwin Center ... Iowa State committed 18 turnovers.
- IOWA STATE: 76
Jan 18 6:16 PM
- IOWA STATE: 36
Jan 18 4:51 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 18 4:07 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22