Iowa State keeps TCU winless in Big 12Feb 23, 2014 - 1:54 AM Fort Worth, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - DeAndre Kane scored a game-high 20 points to go with six rebounds and five assists to help 17th-ranked Iowa State down TCU, 71-60, at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.
Georges Niang added 19 points and eight rebounds and Melvin Ejim scored 14 points for the Cyclones (21-5, 9-5 Big 12), winners in three straight.
Kyan Anderson scored 18 points, Karviar Shepherd finished with 14 and 15 boards and Jarvis Ray added 10 points for the Horned Frogs (9-17, 0-14), losers in 14 straight.
"We had a good situation in today's game as we came out strong. I thought we did a decent job working with a physical team," said TCU coach Trent Johnson. "Kyan Anderson is making guys better on our team and that speaks volumes of his maturation on this team and how much he's grown as a player."
TCU opened on 13-3 run, but a 12-4 burst from Iowa State had the Cyclones within two, 17-15.
Iowa State eventually took a 26-23 lead at the 3:42 mark of the first half when Matt Thomas nailed a 3-pointer and the Cyclones held a 32-30 lead entering the break.
The Horned Frogs held a slim advantage throughout the early stages of the second half, the latest coming on Shepherd's tip-in, which made it 47-44 at the 14:23 mark.
Iowa State then rattled off six straight points to take the lead for good. Anderson had TCU within a point, but the Cyclones managed to push it to 56-50 on Kane's layup at the 7:53 mark.
Anderson once again had the Horned Frogs within a possession when he got a layup to fall with 5 1/2 minutes left, but the Cyclones closed the game on 12-3 run to wrap up the win.
"They dictated tempo the entire game. They are a team that plays extremely hard. I think head coach Trent Johnson has done a tremendous job with that group," said ISU coach Fred Hoiberg.
Iowa State was 1-for-11 from 3-point range ... The Cyclones are the only team in the nation to score at least 70 points in every game this season ... Iowa State hosts West Virginia on Wednesday ... Hudson Price had four blocks for TCU ... The Horned Frogs host Oklahoma State on Monday.
- IOWA STATE: 71
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 60
Feb 22 5:55 PM
- IOWA STATE: 32
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 30
Feb 22 4:50 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 22 4:10 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Helping Dixon: LSU assistant David Patrick hired by TCU Apr 20
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22