Kane leads No. 16 Iowa State past Oklahoma State in OTMar 8, 2014 - 10:51 PM Ames, IA (SportsNetwork.com) - DeAndre Kane scored 27 points to go with eight assists and seven rebounds to lead 16th-ranked Iowa State to an 85-81 overtime win over Oklahoma State.
Georges Niang added 22 points and six rebounds and Melvin Ejim scored 12 points and pulled down eight boards for the Cyclones (23-7, 11-7 Big 12), who currently sit in fourth place in the Big 12 standings.
Marcus Smart scored 27 points and Markel Brown added 26 points and 12 boards for the Cowboys (20-11, 8-10), who fell into eighth place in the conference standings.
ISU can finish as high as third place with a Texas loss on Saturday.
OSU raced out to a 45-29 lead less than four minutes into the second half. Iowa State, however, scored 12 straight to pull the Cyclones within four, 45-41.
After Le'Bryan Nash stopped the run with a layup, ISU scored five straight to make it 47-46 with just under 12 minutes remaining. The Cowboys stretched their spread to two possessions, 55-49, just past the midway point of the half.
The Cyclones scored eight straight to take its first lead since late in the first half, 57-55. ISU led by as many as six, 63-57, but the Cowboys rattled off nine unanswered to take a 66-63 lead with 2:40 to go. Smart scored five points on the surge and Brown added four.
ISU went 3-for-4 from the line to tie the game at 66-66, until Smart made it a four-point game with 22 seconds remaining. Dustin Hogue pulled the Cyclones within two, 70-68, with a pair of free throws with nine seconds to go and Phil Forte had a chance to seal the win for the Cowboys, but the nearly automatic free throw shooter, missed his second shot from the stripe leaving ISU with one last chance. Forte was shooting 88.9 percent from the free throw line entering the game.
Naz Long took a pass on the right sideline with time winding down and nailed a 30-footer as time expired to force the extra session.
Brown gave OSU a 79-78 lead with 35 seconds left, but Kane got a tough layup to go with 25 ticks showing to put the Cyclones on top for good. Kane added a pair of free throws with 11.7 seconds left for a three-point edge and the Cyclones outscored OSU 3-2 over the closing seconds to seal the win.
Oklahoma State led 32-25 after the first 20 minutes.
Ejim became the fourth player in Big 12 history to scored 1,500 points and grab 1,000 rebounds ... ISU is 4-0 in season finales under head coach Fred Hoiberg ... ISU scored at least 70 points in all but one games this season ... Oklahoma State's bench scored just two points.
- OKLAHOMA STATE: 81
IOWA STATE: 85
Final - OT
Mar 8 4:35 PM
- OKLAHOMA STATE: 71
IOWA STATE: 71
End of Regulation
Mar 8 4:11 PM
- OKLAHOMA STATE: 32
IOWA STATE: 25
Mar 8 2:54 PM
- OKLAHOMA STATE: 0
IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 8 2:11 PM
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23