Xavier upsets No. 9 CreightonMar 2, 2014 - 3:23 AM Cincinnati, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Semaj Christon had 21 points, Justin Martin scored 19 with 16 rebounds and Xavier upset No. 9 Creighton 75-69 on Saturday.
Dee Davis added 15 points for the Musketeers (20-9, 10-6 Big East), who improved to 15-1 at home and won for the fifth time in their last seven games.
The standing-room-only crowd of 10,483 was a Cintas Center record.
"The crowd was awesome," said Xavier coach Chris Mack. "We felt them each and every possession. Down the stretch, I can't imagine what Creighton was feeling."
Doug McDermott led Creighton (23-5, 13-3 Big East) with 27 points and 10 rebounds but the Bluejays missed a chance to re-take the conference lead from Villanova.
The Wildcats tied Creighton with a win over Butler on Wednesday and can now take sole possession of first place with a win over Marquette on Sunday.
The Bluejays, who beat Xavier at home on Jan. 12, had a four-game winning streak snapped. They have two regular-season games remaining, against Georgetown and Providence.
McDermott opened the game with a layup but Martin and Christon followed with 3-pointers for Xavier and Creighton only had one more lead in the game, 12-11 on a Grant Gibbs 3 with 13 minutes left in the first half.
Creighton shot 39 percent in the game and was 10-of-34 on 3s (29.4 percent).
"They did a good job, but it's on us, too," said McDermott. "I think some of the time we were a little too content to run the perimeter."
Davis' 3 capped a 7-0 Musketeers run and they went up by as many as 11 before taking a 43-34 lead into halftime.
Christon's free throw with 15:22 remaining gave Xavier its biggest lead at 13 points. The Bluejays got as close at three on a McDermott 3-pointer with 5:27 remaining and again on a Gibbs layup a little over a minute later.
But Xavier scored the next six points, starting with a Davis 3, and Creighton never was closer than five the rest of the way.
The Musketeers shot 50 percent overall and 9-of-16 on 3-pointers (56.3 percent) ... Xavier's two remaining regular-season games are against Seton Hall and Villanova.
- CREIGHTON: 69
Mar 1 7:14 PM
- CREIGHTON: 34
Mar 1 5:58 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 1 5:12 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31