Smart, No. 11 Oklahoma State down TexasJan 9, 2014 - 6:21 AM Stillwater, OK (SportsNetwork.com) - Marcus Smart donated 24 points with 11 rebounds to lead No. 11 Oklahoma State over the visiting Texas Longhorns, 87-74, from Gallagher-Iba Arena.
Smart made just four field goals but sank 16-of-20 from the free throw line. The reigning Big-12 Player of the Year also had six steals and five assists as OSU (13-2, 1-1 Big-12) bounced back from a three-point loss at Kansas State in its Big-12 opener.
"He played a pretty good basketball game, as far as his effort and leadership," said Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford. "He did some really good things."
Markel Brown scored a game-high 27 points on 8-of-13 shooting in the triumph, and Phil Forte netted 14 off the bench. The Cowboys have beaten Texas four straight times.
Demarcus Holland and Damarcus Croaker led a balanced Texas (11-4, 0-2) attack with 12 points apiece. Connor Lammert scored 11 points while Jonathan Holmes and Isaiah Taylor dropped 10 apiece. The Longhorns have lost three of four following their six-game winning streak.
"We're so, from an execution standpoint, inconsistent," said Texas coach Rick Barnes. "It's one thing to part hard but it's another to play smart."
OSU led 19-14 after a pair of Smart free throws at 10:35 before Holland's layup sparked an 18-5 Texas spurt. Lammert's trey at 4:44 capped the run, and the Longhorns led until the closing seconds of the first period.
Smart overcame a sluggish start, making just 1-of-5 field goals in the first half. His only bucket came with 1:05 left in the half and it pulled the Cowboys within a point at 36-35. Stevie Clark's triple put OSU in front and it went into the half with a 38-37 edge.
Oklahoma State made its first four shots out of the locker room -- all in the paint -- to restore its lead. It reached 10 on Brian Williams' layup, and Forte's 3 had the hosts on top 57-45.
Texas made a push late in the contest but never got over the hump.
Both teams scored 34 points in the paint ... The Cowboys improved to 20-13 against Texas in Stillwater ... Texas had 16 turnovers and just 11 assists ... Oklahoma State returns to the court when it visits West Virginia on Jan. 11.
- TEXAS: 74
OKLAHOMA STATE: 87
Jan 8 11:18 PM
- TEXAS: 37
OKLAHOMA STATE: 38
Jan 8 10:05 PM
- TEXAS: 0
OKLAHOMA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 8 9:06 PM
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6