Villanova handles ProvidenceJan 6, 2014 - 5:59 AM Villanova, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - JayVaughn Pinkston scored 19 points on 8- of-12 from the field in 11th-ranked Villanova's 91-61 drubbing of Providence from The Pavilion.
Dylan Ennis made 4-of-5 from beyond the arc en route to a career-best 17 points off the bench for Villanova (13-1, 2-0 Big East), which has won two straight following its lone loss of the season to former Big East rival Syracuse on Dec. 28.
"I guarantee it won't be like that when we go at Providence, I promise you, so we'll take it," Wildcats head coach Jay Wright said.
Darrun Hilliard contributed 15 points and Josh Hart scored 10 for the Wildcats, who made 14-of-26 from 3-point range as a team and outscored Providence 32-22 in the paint.
The loss spoiled a complete game from Bryce Cotton, who tallied 25 points, six assists and six rebounds for Providence (10-5, 0-2), which swept both meetings with Villanova a season ago.
"Our worse game we've played probably in three years I've been here," Friars head coach Ed Cooley said.
Pinkston scored four straight to open the contest and Hilliard followed with five before Cotton finally put Providence on the board with a triple out of a timeout. Villanova continued its onslaught with treys by Hilliard and Hart for a 15-3 edge.
The rest of the contest featured more of the same, as the hosts took a commanding 50-26 lead into the locker room. Cotton and Kadeem Batts were the only two Friars with field goals in the first half.
Tyler Harris' missed breakaway dunk seven minutes into the second half summed up a forgettable tilt for the Friars as Villanova coasted the rest of the way.
Villanova now leads the all-time series 53-37 ... Ladontae Henton netted 17 points and Batts had 10 in the setback ... Providence has lost three straight overall.
- PROVIDENCE: 61
Jan 5 9:07 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 26
Jan 5 8:00 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 5 7:12 PM
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19