Indiana beats No. 22 Ohio StateMar 3, 2014 - 1:15 AM Bloomington, IN (SportsNetwork.com) - Yogi Ferrell scored a game-high 20 points to lead Indiana past No. 22 Ohio State 72-64 on Sunday.
Will Sheehey netted 19 points, grabbed six rebounds and had four steals for the Hoosiers (17-12, 7-9 Big Ten), who have won three of their last four.
LaQuinton Ross and Lenzelle Smith Jr. both scored 19 points for the Buckeyes (22-8, 9-8), who have lost two straight on the heels of a three-game win streak.
"Right now I think that we are really lacking in confidence and in toughness in terms of playing through situations," said Ohio State coach Thad Matta. "Those are things that somehow, some way, we have to get corrected."
Despite playing for the first time without freshman sensation Noah Vonleh, who missed the game with inflammation in his left foot, Indiana was still able to come away with the win.
Vonleh is the second-leading scorer and leading rebounder for the Hoosiers and has won Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors seven times this season. Jeremy Hollowell started in Vonleh's place and posted four points and five rebounds.
The Buckeyes trailed 33-25 at halftime and started the second half with a 10-4 run to cut their deficit to two points. However, Indiana rattled off seven straight to push the margin to 46-37 with just over 12 minutes left to play.
Ohio State fired back with a 10-2 run, with Ross providing eight of those points to cut the lead to 48-47. Evan Gordon and Sheehey nailed back-to-back 3s to put the Hoosiers back up seven with 8:26 left.
The teams scored back-and-forth over the next five plus minutes before Ross fouled out with 3:33 on the clock with the Buckeyes trailing 60-53. Later, the Hoosiers connected on 7-of-10 from the stripe down the wire to hold off the Buckeyes.
Ohio State took an 11-4 lead after 6 1/2 minutes. Later the Hoosiers closed out the final eight minutes of the half with a 21-5 tear.
Ohio State hosts Michigan State in its regular-season finale next Sunday ... The Hoosiers host Nebraska Wednesday ... Indiana leads the all-time series with Ohio State 102-76 ... The Buckeyes are 24-62 when playing at Indiana ... The Buckeyes went 0-for-11 from beyond the arc, while Indiana shot 7-for-18 from long distance.
- OHIO STATE: 64
Mar 2 6:18 PM
- OHIO STATE: 25
Mar 2 4:58 PM
- OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 2 4:11 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16