Trice powers No. 22 Michigan State past IowaMar 7, 2014 - 6:30 AM East Lansing, MI (SportsNetwork.com) - Travis Trice needed just five shots to post a season-high 17 points as No. 22 Michigan State upended 24th-ranked Iowa 86-76 at Breslin Center.
Trice shot 4-of-5 from the floor, hit three 3-pointers and was perfect in six attempts from the free throw line as Michigan State (23-7, 12-5 Big Ten) got back on track after its two-game losing skid. The Spartans had lost three of four entering Thursday's tilt.
"I don't know where to start," said Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo. "It was an interesting game."
Adreian Payne had 14 points, Denzel Valentine went for 13 points and nine assists and Keith Appling and Gary Harris netted 12 points apiece in the triumph. Branden Dawson stuffed the stat sheet with eight points, seven rebounds, five steals and three blocked shots.
Roy Devyn Marble finished with a game-high 24 points for Iowa (20-10, 9-8), losers in four of five.
"You've got to give them credit, they were making them," said Iowa coach Fran McCaffery on the Spartans' 3-point shooting. "Some of them were tough, but some of them were wide open, so that's our fault."
MSU trailed at halftime but used a pair of big second half runs to pull away. Appling had a pair of layups during a 9-0 burst to start the period, boosting the Spartans to a 48-41 edge.
The lead was 60-55 near the midway point when Michigan State put the game out of reach. Trice started the rally with a personal 8-0 surge, and after Marble and Aaron White scored to cut the deficit back to single digits, Dawson's dunk highlighted another 8-0 push. Trice hit four free throws and Appling split a pair at the strip to cap the run, which put the Spartans in front 77-59.
The Hawkeyes netted the final eight points of the contest.
Michigan State won the rebounding margin 29-27. No player on Iowa had more than three boards ... MSU shot 10-of-17 from distance ... White scored 10 on 5-of-8 shooting for the Hawkeyes.
- IOWA: 76
MICHIGAN STATE: 86
Mar 6 11:14 PM
- IOWA: 41
MICHIGAN STATE: 39
Mar 6 9:56 PM
- IOWA: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 6 9:09 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17