Michigan snaps 9-game road skid against Ohio StateFeb 12, 2014 - 5:06 AM Columbus, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Nik Stauskas scored 15 points to help No. 15 Michigan snap a nine-game losing streak in Columbus with a 70-60 win over 22nd-ranked Ohio State on Tuesday.
Freshman Derrick Walton, Jr. recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and a personal-high 10 rebounds for the Wolverines (18-6, 10-2, Big Ten), who went more than 11 years between road wins against the Buckeyes. Their previous victory in Columbus was a 61-50 triumph on Jan. 15, 2003.
LaQuinton Ross had 24 points, one shy of his career best, to lead Ohio State (19-6, 6-6), which had won three straight.
Ohio State was ahead 43-37 with 12:11 remaining, but Zak Irvin buried a 3- pointer to ignite a 12-0 Michigan run over the next three minutes. Walton capped the surge when he was fouled on a drive in the lane. The shot fell and his free throw made it 49-43 with 9:16 to play.
The Buckeyes got within one at 51-50, but were unable to regain the lead.
Walton was fouled on a 3-point attempt as the shot clock expired. He sank all three free throws to put the Wolverines up 62-52 with 1:55 left.
"We did not execute the way we needed to execute," said Ohio State head coach Thad Matta. "We backed off the ball a lot and did not attack."
Ohio State was up by as many as 10 on two occasions in the first half and still led at halftime despite not making a field goal in the final 6:25.
Two Ross free throws gave the Buckeyes a 30-26 advantage at the break.
"Once our guys settled down, we showed a lot of high character," said Michigan head coach John Beilein.
Michigan shot 52 percent in the second half ... Walton registered six of the Wolverines' eight assists ... Lenzelle Smith, Jr. scored 13 points for the Buckeyes, who made only 3-of-20 from 3-point range.
- MICHIGAN: 70
OHIO STATE: 60
Feb 11 11:06 PM
- MICHIGAN: 26
OHIO STATE: 30
Feb 11 9:50 PM
- MICHIGAN: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 11 9:08 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23