Brust leads Wisconsin past MinnesotaFeb 14, 2014 - 4:43 PM Madison, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Ben Brust finished with 20 points and six rebounds as No. 21 Wisconsin took a 78-70 win over Minnesota in a Big Ten matchup.
Frank Kaminsky scored 17 points with six rebounds and Nigel Hayes added 15 points for the Badgers (20-5, 7-5 Big Ten), who have won three straight.
"I'm done looking at anything, I think we just need to focus on whoever's next for us and it's Michigan at Michigan," Brust said. "It's a really good opportunity to play a really good team on the road and I'm excited for that."
Andre Hollins scored 22 points and Malik Smith gave 14 points for the Golden Gophers (16-9, 5-7), who have lost four of five.
"You got to give them (Wisconsin) credit, they did a great job adjusting to the things that we hurt them with our first game," said Minnesota coach Richard Pitino.
Minnesota held a 14-7 lead 6 1/2 minutes in on a Smith 3-pointer, but Wisconsin answered with a 9-0 surge to take the lead back on a Traevon Jackson jumper.
A 3-pointer from Brust followed by a Hayes free throw gave the Badgers a 10- point lead, but Daquein McNeil hit a 3-pointer near the buzzer to make it a 35-28 game at the break.
Holding a six-point advantage, Wisconsin scored the next six points as Minnesota was held off the board for four minutes and Brust's two free throws made it a 53-41 game halfway through the second half.
A 3-pointer from Brust followed by a pair of free throws from Hayes and Kaminsky gave the Badgers their largest lead of the game at 62-47 with just under six minutes to play.
Hollins' 3-pointer with 1:20 to play got Minnesota within five at 70-65 and, after three free throws from Wisconsin, Smith buried a 3 from the left side with 55.2 seconds left.
Wisconsin, though, hit its free throws down the stretch to hang on for the win.
Wisconsin plays at Michigan on Sunday ... Minnesota plays at Northwestern on Sunday ... The Golden Gophers won the previous matchup between these teams on Jan. 22, and the team holds a 96-89 lead in the series.
- MINNESOTA: 70
Feb 13 11:19 PM
- MINNESOTA: 28
Feb 13 9:58 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 13 9:11 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29