Buckeyes keep rolling with rout of NebraskaJan 5, 2014 - 12:20 AM Columbus, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Amedeo Della Valle scored 15 points off the bench as No. 3 Ohio State dominated Nebraska with an 84-53 win on Saturday.
Marc Loving chipped in with 13 points in a reserve role, while Shannon Scott added 13 points with five assists and LaQuinton Ross finished with 11 points for Ohio State (15-0, 2-0 Big Ten).
The Buckeyes will next face their stiffest test of the season with a trip to Michigan State on Tuesday.
"Most importantly, we took care of what we needed to do today," said Ohio State coach Thad Matta. "Our guys have a great appreciation for how good Michigan State is."
Terran Petteway led the way for the Cornhuskers (8-6, 0-2) with 15 points and Leslee Smith contributed a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Ross hit a pair of threes that were part of a 12-0 run that gave Ohio State a 56-36 lead and help break the game open early in the second half.
Deverell Biggs made a running jumper to halt Ohio State's momentum and added an additional four points as part of an 8-2 push to cut the deficit to 58-44 with 11:31 to play.
Loving later hit a three-point play and followed with a layup for a 73-51 lead with just over six minutes left.
The Buckeyes ended the game on an 8-0 run to win going away.
Petteway made a layup with just under 13 minutes to play in the first half to put the Cornhuskers up 14-10 before Ohio State used a 9-1 sprint to take the lead.
Sam Thompson scored two straight baskets during the spurt and Della Valle capped it with a trey to put the Buckeyes up 19-15.
Nebraska hung around for most of the half, but Ohio State scored the final seven points of the frame to take a 40-30 lead into the break.
Amir Williams added 10 points for the Buckeyes and Aaron Craft scored nine ... Nebraska shot 21-for-56 (37.5 percent) from the field, while Ohio State shot 27-for-50 (54 percent) ... The Buckeyes turned it over just seven times and slightly edged Nebraska on the boards with a 33-32 rebounding edge ... Ohio State outscored Nebraska at the free throw line, 21-7.
- NEBRASKA: 53
OHIO STATE: 84
Jan 4 1:51 PM
- NEBRASKA: 30
OHIO STATE: 40
Jan 4 12:47 PM
- NEBRASKA: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 4 12:02 PM
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Nebraska, Kansas agree to meet in basketball next 2 seasons Mar 1
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Huskers' Shields hits head, will follow concussion protocol Feb 6
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27