Wisconsin tops PurdueMar 6, 2014 - 7:18 AM Madison, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Frank Kaminsky totaled 22 points and five rebounds to lead ninth-ranked Wisconsin to a 76-70 victory over Purdue on Wednesday.
"Frank has it in him. He?s already proven that. He was opportunistic. Guys got him the ball in some good spots and he finished," said Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan.
Traevon Jackson scored 14 points and dished out four assists for the Badgers (25-5, 12-5 Big Ten), who have now won eight straight conference games for the first time since the 1940-41 season. Josh Gasser added 13 points while shooting 9-for-10 from the charity stripe.
"It was nice to have everyone smiling in the locker room and smiling after the game. It makes it much better for everyone and the seniors especially. It's much better to get a win on your last time on the home floor. I've had some amazing experiences here at the Kohl Center and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do the rest of the way," said Wisconsin forward Ben Brust.
Ronnie Johnson scored 15 points with six assists for the Boilermakers (15-15, 5-12), who will host Northwestern in their season finale on Sunday. Terone Johnson and A.J. Hammons scored 12 and 11 points, respectively, with Hammons adding 11 rebounds.
The Badgers jumped out of the gate on a 21-8 run through the first 11 1/2 minutes of the game. Purdue kept pace after falling behind by trading buckets the rest of the half and trailed by 11, 35-24, at the break.
Wisconsin stretched its lead to 15, 45-30, with 14 minutes left to play. The teams exchanged baskets over the next five minutes before the Boilermakers used a 13-2 burst to pull within 58-51.
Sam Dekker answered with a three-point play with 4 1/2 minutes left, and Gasser and Kaminsky each hit a pair at the line to push the margin to 12. The closest Purdue came down the wire was within six after a Kendall Stephens trey at the buzzer.
The Boilermakers lead the all-time series 105-67, however, the Badgers are 46-38 in games played in Madison ... Purdue shot 3-for-14 from beyond the arc, while the Badgers went 7-for-18 ... Wisconsin made 23-of-31 from the foul line and the Boilermakers connected on 9-of-14 from the stripe ... Purdue hosts Northwestern on Sunday in its season finale.
- PURDUE: 70
Mar 5 11:04 PM
- PURDUE: 24
Mar 5 9:49 PM
- PURDUE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 5 9:07 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22