San Diego State holds off Boise StateJan 9, 2014 - 7:45 AM San Diego, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Xavier Thames had 16 points, seven rebounds, three assists and three steals as No. 13 San Diego State held off Boise State, 69-66, on Wednesday night.
The Broncos trailed by as many as 18 in the first half and 14 in the second, but Derrick Marks, who netted a game-high 21 points, had a chance to win it for Boise State in the waning seconds.
After Aqeel Quinn missed a left corner triple with 36 seconds left, Anthony Drmic snatched the rebound and gave the ball to Marks, who was isolated on Thames at the top of the key.
Marks dribbled the clock down to about six seconds before making his move. Marks' initial pump fake didn't fake Thames, though, and his fadeaway jumper was well off the mark.
Thames then sunk a pair of free throws with 0.2 seconds left for the game's final points.
Winston Shepard poured in 16 points and Josh Davis grabbed 10 rebounds for San Diego State (13-1, 2-0 MWC), which has won 12 straight since falling to top- ranked Arizona on Nov. 14.
"I wish we had played better down the stretch," San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher said.
Drmic added 17 points and 10 boards for the Broncos (11-4, 1-1), who have dropped four of their last seven tilts after reeling off eight straight wins to begin the campaign.
Quinn knocked down a pair of triples during a 17-0 Aztecs run, including one to cap it and stake the hosts a 26-8 margin.
"We were just trying to weather the storm here earlier and try to keep it close. I knew my guys would keep battling, and they did," Broncos head coach Leon Rice said.
Marks' 3-pointer at the first-half buzzer got the Broncos within 34-26 heading into the break.
Two Shepard free throws gave SDSU a 65-58 cushion with 2:06 left, but Marks went on a personal 8-2 spurt to whittle the gap to 67-66.
San Diego State shot 44 percent (22-of-50) from the floor, while Boise State shot 42.9 percent (24-of-56) from the field ... Ryan Watkins had nine points and 10 boards for Boise State.
- BOISE STATE: 66
SAN DIEGO STATE: 69
Jan 9 1:17 AM
- BOISE STATE: 26
SAN DIEGO STATE: 34
Jan 9 12:03 AM
- BOISE STATE: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 8 11:12 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Boise State blows out Concordia (Ore.) 100-53 Nov 23
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21