Polee, SDSU rally past Boise StateFeb 6, 2014 - 7:06 AM Boise, ID (SportsNetwork.com) - Dwayne Polee II made a 3-pointer with 4.2 seconds left to cap a furious comeback and the fifth-ranked San Diego State Aztecs extended their winning streak to 19 games with a 67-65 victory over the Boise State Broncos.
Xavier Thames added 23 points for the Aztecs (20-1, 9-0 MWC), who came all the way back from 14-down to secure their ninth straight 20-win campaign. Josh Davis had 10 points and five rebounds in his return to the lineup.
Mikey Thompson ended with 16 points for the Broncos (15-8, 5-5), who have lost two in a row. Derrick Marks and Thomas Bropleh each tallied 15 points.
Ryan Watkins entered Wednesday's game with a double-double in six straight games. He was limited to six points and eight boards.
"I could tell that it hurts everyone and games like this it's supposed to hurt. All we can do is come back more confident," Marks said.
Trailing 57-43 with 13:51 to play, Thames made a 3-pointer to spark an 18-2 San Diego State run. Thames capped the surge with seven straight points, including a jumper with 4:20 remaining for a 61-59 lead.
But the Broncos scored six of the next seven points to go back in front. Thompson made two free throws and a layup around Thames' free throw. Marks followed with a jumper to make it 65-62 Boise State.
SDSU's J.J. O'Brien turned the ball over, but Thames stole the ball away from Marks. Thames made two free throws with 51.4 seconds remaining to get the Aztecs within one.
Marks missed two shots at the other end, with Polee blocking the first. Following a San Diego State timeout, Polee connected from beyond the arc to give the Aztecs a 67-65 edge.
Marks' 3-point attempt at the buzzer was off the mark.
"We try not to get in those positions but Boise State is a great team, they have great players," Polee said. "It's expected to have a tough game, it goes down to the wire every time we play them."
Boise State led by as many as 10 in the first half and took a 42-33 lead into the locker room.
Ahead 48-41 with 16:29 to play, the Broncos went on a 9-2 spurt to build their largest lead of the contest. Bropleh capped the flurry with a 3-pointer to make it 57-43.
San Diego State leads the all-time series by an 8-1 margin ... The Aztecs shot 58.5 percent from the field and 5-of-8 from beyond the arc, while the Broncos shot 51 percent from the floor and went 8-of-18 from three-point range ... Davis missed Saturday's game against Colorado State with a knee injury.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 67
BOISE STATE: 65
Feb 5 11:16 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 33
BOISE STATE: 42
Feb 5 10:05 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
BOISE STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 5 9:18 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Boise State blows out Concordia (Ore.) 100-53 Nov 23
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21