Wichita State first to 30-0 in regular seasonFeb 26, 2014 - 4:24 AM Peoria, IL (SportsNetwork.com) - Wichita State had already rewritten the school's record books coming into Tuesday's game against Bradley.
But the Shockers accomplished something even bigger in their lopsided 69-49 drubbing of the Braves, as they became the first Division I program to win its first 30 games of the regular season.
The Braves couldn't overcome the second-ranked Shockers' balanced scoring attack as Wichita State stayed the only unbeaten team in the country.
Ron Baker scored 15 points, Tekele Cotton chipped in with 13 and Cleanthony Early and Fred VanVleet added 12 and 11, respectively, for the victors.
Wichita State (30-0, 17-0 MVC) shot 48.9 percent from the floor, including 10- of-21 from behind the arc, and can wrap up a perfect regular season with a home win over Missouri State on Saturday.
Walt Lemon, Jr. led the Braves (12-18, 7-10) with 18 points while Tyshon Pickett finished with 13 points and 15 boards in the setback.
Bradley, which has dropped four of its last five, was within striking distance at 26-22 late in the first half before the Shockers began pulling away.
Baker and Early both hit from long range during an 8-0 run that stretched the lead to 12, and five 3-pointers in the first seven-plus minutes of the second half -- two from Fred VanVleet, two from Baker and another from Early -- had the Shockers ahead by a healthy 50-32 margin.
The closest it got over the final 13 minutes was 13.
Wichita State has won nine straight meetings ... The Shockers distributed 15 assists to Bradley's five ... The Braves shot just 27.1 percent from the floor ... The last MVC team to go undefeated in league play was Bradley in 1985-86 ... Bradley closes out its regular season at Drake on Saturday.
- WICHITA STATE: 69
Feb 25 11:12 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 35
Feb 25 10:01 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 25 9:10 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Bradley names Brian Wardle head coach Mar 27