Resurgent Oregon topples No. 3 ArizonaMar 9, 2014 - 1:45 AM Eugene, OR (SportsNetwork.com) - Jason Calliste and Johnathan Loyd connected on consecutive 3-pointers during a late 14-1 run as Oregon bolstered its NCAA tournament chances with an upset of No. 3 Arizona on Saturday.
Calliste had 18 points and Loyd scored 16 in the Ducks' 64-57 victory -- their seventh straight win to end the regular season.
Their 3-pointers stretched a two-point lead to eight with under three minutes to play. Arizona went almost eight minutes between field goals before T.J. McConnell's three made it a 59-54 game with 1:56 left.
The Wildcats later pulled within four points but missed a chance to get closer when Nick Johnson was blocked down low by Ben Carter. Calliste made two free throws at the other end to make it a 63-57 game with just 28.9 seconds left.
Seven Oregon seniors were honored in their final home game, including Calliste and Loyd, and Ducks coach Dana Altman said the energy in Matthew Knight Arena helped carry his team down the stretch.
"We were able to turn it up with our fans," he said. "The energy those fans produce helped the team. That's why basketball is a home-game sport. We weren't playing that well but our crowd kept us in it."
Senior Mike Moser added 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Ducks (22-8, 10-8 Pac-12), who were seen as a bubble team by many observers coming into the game.
Aaron Gordon scored 21 points to lead the Wildcats (28-3, 15-3), who had a five-game winning streak snapped.
Arizona clinched the Pac-12 regular-season title with a win over Stanford last Sunday and will have a first-round bye in next week's conference tournament.
The Wildcats out-shot Oregon overall 42.3 percent to 41.2 percent but the Ducks made 10 of their 19 3-point attempts.
"You're catching them on senior night with quite a few players playing their last home game," said Arizona coach Sean Miller. "Then, obviously, they're playing for the NCAA tournament. They were a very highly motivated group. With that, I think we would have needed to be at our best today and we weren't."
Arizona led by as many as 12 in the first half and was up 31-29 at the break.
Both teams had 35 rebounds ... Calliste was 4-for-5 on 3-pointers ... Kaleb Tarczewski scored 12 points for Arizona and Johnson had 11.
- ARIZONA: 57
Mar 8 6:19 PM
- ARIZONA: 31
Mar 8 5:06 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 8 4:17 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16