Gators rout Georgia for 25th straight home winJan 15, 2014 - 4:19 AM Gainesville, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - Michael Frazier had 21 points, Dorian Finney-Smith scored 14 and No. 7 Florida beat Georgia, 72-50, to set a program record with its 25th straight home win.
Will Yeguete added 12 points and Patric Young had 10 for the Gators (14-2, 3-0 SEC), who got their eighth win in a row overall despite missing leading scorer Casey Prather, who sat for a second straight game with an injured knee.
Juwan Parker led Georgia (8-7, 2-1) with 13 points and Marcus Thornton scored 11.
Prather also missed Saturday's game against Arkansas, when Scottie Wilbekin forced overtime with two seconds left and the Gators went on to squeeze out a two-point win.
Florida coach Billy Donovan said Prather's absence hurt his team's depth in the Arkansas game, but the Gators had little trouble in their 12th straight win over Georgia.
Donovan said the players who have won 25 straight home games for the Gators "obviously did some really special things."
"These guys haven't won national championships, but they've done some special things as well and I'm proud of them," he said. "It's a good milestone. Anytime you can do something for the first time in school history, it's always nice. But like I said on Monday, we're 0-0 in playing our game here at home, and you've got to just go out and play."
They scored 13 straight points to turn an early two-point deficit into a 17-6 lead midway through the first half. Frazier, Finney-Smith and Wilbekin each made a 3-pointer during the surge and the Gators were 11-of-26 from beyond the arc in the game.
They pushed their lead to 20 points inside the five-minute mark on Finney- Smith's dunk and led by 20 at halftime, 36-16, after holding the Bulldogs to just 31.6 percent shooting.
"Really the game was decided in the first half in our lack of poise offensively," said Georgia coach Mark Fox. "That lack of composure really allowed Florida to build a lead."
Georgia got as close as 14 after that on a Thornton layup with 11:37 left in the game.
Frazier then scored 14 of his 21 points during a 25-8 run -- including 12 on 3-pointers -- as Florida took a 31-point lead, its largest of the game, with three minutes left.
The Gators shot 46.3 percent and forced 15 Georgia turnovers ... Wilbekin had seven points ... For the first time since 1943-44, Florida and Georgia will not meet twice in the regular season ... Prather averages 17.0 points per game ... Florida's last loss was to Connecticut on Dec. 2.
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4