No. 5 Wichita State defeats Indiana State to remain unbeatenJan 18, 2014 - 11:45 PM Wichita, KS (SportsNetwork.com) - Ron Baker scored 16 points and Fred VanVleet followed with 15 points, as No. 5 Wichita State used a second-half surge to remain unbeaten with a 68-48 triumph over Missouri Valley Conference foe Indiana State on Saturday at Charles Koch Arena.
Chadrack Lufile registered a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds, while Darius Carter contributed 10 points off the bench for the Shockers (19-0, 6-0 MVC), who held Indiana State to 31.4 percent shooting from the field.
Dawon Cummings supplied 19 points to pace the Sycamores (14-4, 5-1), who had won seven straight since a loss to Saint Louis on Dec. 18.
Indiana State trailed by just nine, 31-22, at the break, but VanVleet netted the first five points of an 11-0 half-opening surge from the Shockers that pushed their cushion to 42-22 just under four minutes into the half.
The Sycamores, meanwhile, didn't register their first field goal in the second stanza until almost eight minutes in, when Justin Gant tipped in an offensive rebound to bring the visitors within 47-26 with 12:15 to play.
The margin teetered around 20 from there until Jake Odum's 3-pointer pulled Indiana State within 64-48 with 3:18 left, but the Sycamores failed to score the rest of the way and the Shockers cruised to victory down the stretch.
Early on, VanVleet tallied seven straight points to break an 8-8 tie, as his triple with 11:23 left in the first half made it 15-8 Shockers.
Indiana State got as close as three on Mangisto Arop's jumper with 5:46 remaining in the half, but Baker buried a triple at the other end and added a jumper shortly after to help Wichita State take a 31-22 lead into the break.
Odum, who finished with seven points and three assists, became the first player in MVC history to make 500 career free throws and record 500 assists .... Indiana State went 5-for-20 from 3-point range, while Wichita State went 3-of-15 from distance ... The Shockers outrebounded the Sycamores, 44-30.
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Indiana State athletic director resigns after 11-year tenure Dec 19
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2