No. 4 Wichita State remains unbeaten with win over Indiana StateFeb 6, 2014 - 6:43 AM Terre Haute, IN (SportsNetwork.com) - Wichita State's magical season continued on Wednesday, as Cleanthony Early scored 19 points to lead the unbeaten No. 4 Shockers to a 65-58 win over Indiana State at Hulman Center.
Tekele Cotton added 14 points for Wichita State (24-0, 11-0 MVC), which survived what should be its toughest test of conference play. Indiana State (17-6, 8-3) is second in the league and hadn't lost at home this season entering the contest.
Manny Arop had 16 to pace the Sycamores, while Jake Odum and Khristian Smith scored 11 points apiece in the setback.
Wichita State led by just one at halftime, and Arop put ISU in front with a jumper on its first possession of the second half. Early came back with five quick points, and the Shockers never trailed the rest of the way.
Early drew a foul on Devonte Brown at 12:33 and made all three of the ensuing free throws for a 50-39 margin, and WSU looks to end this one early.
But the Sycamores refused to go down without a fight. Dawon Cummings made four free throws and assisted on Odum's layup to highlight an 8-0 flurry to draw within two midway through the period.
Wichita was in front 58-56 with less than two minutes to play and Darius Carter's turnover left the door open for the Sycamores to either tie it or take a lead, but Justin Gant missed a layup at the other end. Early made them pay, converting a three-point play with just over a minute left.
Gant and Arop each split a pair of free throws to make it 61-58, but ISU went cold the rest of the way, missing four 3-pointers while Chadrack Lufile took care of business at the charity stripe.
The Shockers never trailed in the first half and led by as many as nine after Ron Baker's trey 14 minutes in. Arop got hot late in the period, scoring nine of the Sycamores' final 13 points heading into the break. His jumper at the horn cut WSU's edge to 36-35.
Wichita State leads the all-time series, 52-29 ... The Shockers have won 11 of 13 meetings ... ISU wno the rebounding margin, 41-35. This was just the second time this season WSU got outrebounded.
- WICHITA STATE: 65
INDIANA STATE: 58
Feb 5 10:17 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 36
INDIANA STATE: 36
Feb 5 8:57 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
INDIANA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 5 8:05 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Indiana State athletic director resigns after 11-year tenure Dec 19
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2