No. 3 Wichita State stays perfect with win over Loyola-ChicagoFeb 20, 2014 - 3:58 AM Chicago, IL (SportsNetwork.com) - And then there was one.
The Wichita State Shockers are the last undefeated team left in Division I men's college basketball.
Top-ranked Syracuse was the only other unbeaten team heading into Wednesday's action. The Orange, however, lost to Boston College in overtime.
Shortly after Syracuse was upset, the third-ranked Shockers posted their 28th straight victory with an 88-74 decision over the Loyola-Chicago Ramblers.
Fred VanVleet had 22 points, eight rebounds and six assists for Wichita State (28-0, 15-0 MVC), which had a chance to lock up the top spot in the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament, needing a win and an Indiana State loss to Evansville. The Sycamores prevented the Shockers from getting the top seed with a 59-54 victory over the Purple Aces.
Cleanthony Early ended with 18 points to reach 1,000 for his Wichita State career. Darius Carter and Ron Baker tallied 13 and 10 points, respectively, for the Shockers, who became the 19th school to begin a season 28-0.
Milton Doyle had 18 points for the Ramblers (9-18, 4-11), who have lost three in a row. Jeff White and Devon Turk donated 14 and 13 points, respectively in defeat.
The Shockers jumped out to a 21-12 lead, but the Ramblers got within 25-19 on Turk's three-point play with 8:24 left in the first half.
Wichita State responded with an 8-3 spurt to build an 11-point margin. VanVleet made two free throws with 4:14 remaining to make it 33-22.
White scored five straight points moments later to pull Loyola-Chicago within 35-29. It was a 39-32 game at the half.
Wichita State started the second half on a 13-4 run that VanVleet capped with a jumper for a 52-36 lead.
The Ramblers never got closer than 10 the rest of the way.
Wichita State now owns a 20-9 advantage in the all-time series ... VanVleet was 6-of-6 from the field and made each of his 10 free throws ... The Shockers went 31-of-34 from the foul line.
- WICHITA STATE: 88
Feb 19 10:15 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 39
Feb 19 8:55 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 8:10 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1