Shockers stay unbeaten, top Northern IowaFeb 9, 2014 - 5:04 AM Cedar Falls, IA (SportsNetwork.com) - Tekele Cotton led five Wichita State scorers in double figures with 18 points, as the fourth-ranked Shockers remained unbeaten with an 82-73 triumph over Northern Iowa on Saturday at McLeod Center.
Cleanthony Early added 16 points, while Darius Carter scored 15 points off the bench on 6-of-6 shooting from the field for Wichita State (25-0, 12-0 MVC), which shot 54.2 percent (26-of-48) from the floor.
Fred VanVleet totaled 14 points, seven rebounds and four assists, while Ron Baker registered 12 points and six helpers for the Shockers, who are riding the second-longest win streak in MVC history behind only a 33-game run by the Larry Bird-led 1978-79 Indiana State squad.
Matt Bohannon led the Panthers (11-13, 5-7) with 17 points, while Seth Tuttle tallied 16 points and eight boards in the setback, Northern Iowa's third in a row and fifth in its last six games.
Marvin Singleton's jumper pulled the Panthers within 44-43 early in the second half, but the home team went the next six minutes without a field goal, allowing the Shockers to create some separation.
Carter contributed five straight during the ensuing 12-1 Wichita State surge, which Cotton capped with a triple for a 56-44 lead with 14:14 on the clock.
A Bohannon 3-pointer with 9:21 left got the Panthers within 60-52, but Cotton finished a pair of buckets in close around a Carter layup to push the cushion to 14 with just over 7 1/2 minutes to play.
Northern Iowa failed to get closer than nine the rest of the way as Wichita State held on for the victory.
Early on, the Panthers led 20-19 with just under 9 1/2 minutes left in the first half, but the Shockers scored the next seven points, including five straight from Early, to grab a 26-20 lead.
Wichita State carried a 44-37 advantage into the break, but the Panthers poured in the first six points of the second half to make it a one-point game.
Northern Iowa leads the all-time series by a slim 25-24 margin ... The Panthers shot 42.4 percent (25-of-59) from the floor ... Wes Washpun scored 14 points and added six assists for the Panthers ... Wichita State won the rebounding battle, 40-24 ... UNI scored 19 points off 15 Wichita State turnovers.
- WICHITA STATE: 82
NORTHERN IOWA: 73
Feb 8 11:25 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 44
NORTHERN IOWA: 37
Feb 8 10:03 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
NORTHERN IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 8 9:06 PM
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27