Wichita State cruises past Emporia StateNov 9, 2013 - 9:27 PM Wichita, KS (SportsNetwork.com) - Cleanthony Early posted 21 points to lead No. 16 Wichita State in a 93-50 victory over Emporia State on Saturday.
Ron Baker had 17 points and six assists while Fred VanVleet gave 12 points, six rebounds and six assists for the Shockers (1-0), who fell to Louisville in the Final Four of last season's NCAA Tournament.
Terrence Moore had 15 points and five rebounds and Kaleb Wright gave 12 points for the Hornets, who counted this game as an exhibition.
A VanVleet layup four minutes in staked Wichita State to an 8-4 lead and the team later scored eight unanswered points with a Baker jumper giving them a 26-13 lead with 7 1/2 minutes to play in the first half.
A 13-4 burst for the Shockers to close the half gave the team a 49-26 lead at the break, and they started the second half scoring 15 of the first 17 points to put the game out of reach.
Emporia State never got closer than 32 back the rest of the way.
Wichita State shot 51.7 percent from the field, and pulled down 38 rebounds ... Emporia State made just 36.5 percent of its attempts from the floor and grabbed 26 boards ... Wichita State hosts Western Kentucky on Tuesday.
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Notre Dame lights up Wichita State, reaches Elite Eight Mar 27