Fazekas, Nevada suffer first loss of season to UNLVDec 10, 2006 - 6:40 AM RENO, Nevada (Ticker) -- Nick Fazekas didn't have any first-half help and it cost Nevada.
Fazekas, who was suffering from bruised ribs, scored 12 of his 16 points in the first half but it was not enough as 19th-ranked Nevada fell behind early, paving the way for a 58-49 upset to intrastate rival Nevada-Las Vegas in a non-conference matchup.
With the loss, Nevada (7-1) saw its 12-game winning streak end at Lawlor Events Center.
Wendell White scored 12 points - all in the opening half - and Gaston Essengue hit all five of his shots to add 10 points for the Runnin' Rebels (7-2), who stopped a three-game losing streak to the Wolf Pack.
Fazekas, who grabbed 17 rebounds, was the lone bright spot in the first 20 minutes as Nevada fell into a 39-22 hole due to an ice-cold 30 percent (8-of-27) shooting mark.
"They were a little physical but not too bad," Fazekas said. "We couldn't make any shots."
UNLV went in the other direction, netting 47 percent (16-of-34) of its shots to build a healthy lead.
"That was probably our best 20 minutes of the year," Runnin' Rebels coach Lon Kruger said. "Our guys really fought, especially in the first half."
But the Wolf Pack battled back in the second half, pulling within 48-42 on a jumper by Fazekas with 2:27 left. However, Wink Adams, who had nine points, answered with a jumper 1:15 later and the Runnin' Rebels maintained their composure down the stretch for the upset.
"I'm never scared to take the big shot for my team," Adams said. "If they need me to take the shot, I'm going to take the shot."
"We played better in the second," Nevada coach Mark Fox said. "We had to go small. Our big lineup could not match up and we had to adjust. Give UNLV credit, they are a good basketball team."
Ramon Sessions scored 16 points for Nevada, which made just 1-of-15 3-pointers and committed 21 turnovers.
UNLV had trouble closing out the contest comfortably due to its anemic 26 percent (7-of-27) shooting during the last 20 minutes.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5