Kemp leads the way in Nevada's win over PacificDec 17, 2006 - 7:27 AM RENO, Nevada (Ticker) -- Marcelus Kemp's efforts went full circle.
Kemp scored 19 points, including four 3-pointers, and Nick Fazekas added 13 points and 10 rebounds as No. 21 Nevada rallied in the second half for a 60-53 victory over Pacific.
The Wolf Pack (9-1) started the second half in a 29-22 hole before taking control of the contest. A 3-pointer by Kemp triggered and closed a decisive 15-0 run for a 40-31 lead with 14:26 left.
"Kemp and (Kyle) Shiloh made some big shots in the second half and we have to give credit to them," Pacific coach Bob Thomason said.
"We really didn't run the offense in the first half," Kemp said. "At half, Coach (Mark Fox) let us know about it."
Pacific, which has lost five games in a row, crept within three points on numerous occasions, but Nevada responded each time to rebuild the lead and close out the win.
"We made key mistakes, but we had enough cushion it didn't cost us," Fox said.
Ramon Sessions, who had eight assists, and Shiloh both finished with 11 points for the Wolf Pack, who held an 18-16 edge in paint points.
Steffan Johnson scored 11 points and Anthony Brown and Solomon Horsechief both added 10 for the Tigers (3-8), who shot just 33 percent (19-of-56) overall.
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Pacific hires Damon Stoudamire as new basketball coach Mar 16
- Suspended Pacific coach Ron Verlin leaves school Mar 3
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- Wiltjer's career-high 45 points guides Gonzaga past Pacific Feb 20
- No. 3 Gonzaga sets sights on WCC crown Feb 19
- Gonzaga routs Pacific Jan 24
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with third-ranked Zags Jan 24
- Bairstow, No. 25 New Mexico down Nevada Mar 2