Butler holds off Evansville comebackDec 23, 2006 - 5:48 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Evansville's heated comeback wasn't enough to overcome its coach losing his cool.
A.J. Graves scored 22 points and No. 16 Butler capitalized on a technical foul in an 86-75 victory over Evansville.
In beating their intrastate rival for the eighth time in the last nine meetings, the Bulldogs (12-1) opened their biggest lead of the game after a technical was assessed against Aces coach Steve Merfeld.
A late 7-0 run finally put away Evansville for good, which helped Butler improve to 6-1 against Indiana schools this season.
The Aces trailed, 49-43, but the game got away from them in less than a minute.
Pete Campbell buried a 3-pointer to push Butler's lead to 52-43 with 11:37 to play, and 18 seconds later, Merfeld drew a technical for protesting a foul.
Graves hit two free throws and Will Veasley scored on a layup as the Bulldogs' margin ballooned to 56-43 with 10:58 remaining.
Evansville (8-4), which had a four-game winning streak snapped, has one last gasp, using a 9-2 run to trim a 13-point deficit to 68-62 on a pair of free throws by Kyle Anslinger with 2:06 left.
That was as close as the Aces would get. Graves and Mike Green hit jumpers to spark a 7-0 spurt to hike the lead to 73-62 with 1:36 to play.
Green scored 16 points and Brandon Crone added 15 for Butler, which dominated the glass, 34-22.
Jason Holsinger sank five 3-pointers and scored 17 points for Evansville, which lost despite shooting 51 percent (21-of-41) from the floor.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
EVANSVILLE 30 35 65
BUTLER (16) 37 39 76 FINAL
Dec 22 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
BUTLER (16) 37 HALFTIME
Dec 22 7:47 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2