Kemp, Fazekas help lift Nevada to fourth straight winDec 29, 2006 - 8:20 AM RENO, Nevada (Ticker) -- Marcelus Kemp and Nick Fazekas made sure Nevada kept rolling.
Kemp scored a game-high 20 points while Fazekas added 18 to lift the No. 18 Wolf Pack to an easy 89-69 victory over Maine for their fourth straight triumph.
Nevada (11-1) settled the issue early in taking a commanding 45-28 lead at the half. Kemp had 10 points at the intermission while Fazekas had 14.
Fazekas, a 6-11 senior forward and the Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year the past two seasons, entered averaging 20.9 points and 12.6 rebounds per game.
Nevada finished sharp from the floor, shooting 34-of-57 (60 percent) while Maine struggled, only connecting on 25-of-65 shots (39 percent).
Kemp, a junior guard, went 6-of-15, including 3-of-6 from 3-point range, and sank all five of his free throws.
Kyle Shiloh added nine points for the Wolf Pack, who play unranked Gonzaga on December 30 before opening Western Athletic Conference play at home against Idaho on January 6.
Junior Bernal led the Black Bears (5-7) with 18 points while Mark Sacoby netted 11 and Jon Sheets finished with 10.
Senior guard Kevin Reed, who entered as Maine's leading scorer with an average of 11.7 points per game, was held to just five points after going 2-of-9 from the field.
The Wolf Pack, who improved to 8-0 when shooting 50 percent or better, improved to 6-0 at home.
The Black Bears have lost three of their last four.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MAINE 28 41 69
NEVADA (18) 45 44 89 FINAL
Dec 28 10:13 PM
- NCAA BB
NEVADA (18) 45 HALFTIME
Dec 28 9:15 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- Bairstow, No. 25 New Mexico down Nevada Mar 2
- Lobos meet Wolf Pack in MWC clash Mar 2
- Aztecs win 20th straight, beat Nevada Feb 9
- Aztecs put streak on line against Wolf Pack Feb 8
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6
- Black Bears come calling on 12th-ranked Huskies Dec 6