Marquette pulls away in second half, defeats Savannah St.Dec 30, 2006 - 10:49 PM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Dominic James had a quiet first half but dominated in the second to propel Marquette to victory.
James and Wesley Matthews each scored 22 points to lead 22nd-ranked Marquette to a 69-51 triumph over Savannah State.
After a tightly contested first half, the Golden Eagles (13-2) pulled away from a 32-31 halftime lead with a 19-6 spurt to start the final 20 minutes. Ousmane Barro's layup with 10:12 remaining capped the burst, making it 51-37.
James, who was just 1-of-3 from the field in the first half, scored eight points during the run. He finished with 15 points in the second half.
"We started getting the ball reversed a lot more in the second half early on clogging paint," James said. "The ball ended up in my hands a lot, I was just trying to penetrate for my teammates and for myself."
Matthews scored 12 of his career-high point total in the first half for Marquette, which shot 50 percent (21-of-42) for the contest.
"We had a great week of hard practice," Matthews said. "We didn't show it in the first half, but we did in the second."
Joseph Flegler scored 15 points for the Tigers (6-12), who shot 34 percent (21-of-62), including 4-of-19 (21 percent) from behind the arc.
Savannah State has lost 12 of its last 13 contests. Its only win during that stretch was against Bethune-Cookman on December 22.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAVANNAH ST 31 20 51
MARQUETTE (22) 32 37 69 FINAL
Dec 30 4:03 PM
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 31
MARQUETTE (22) 32 HALFTIME
Dec 30 2:59 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3
- Talented freshmen infused into preseason mix at Marquette Oct 12