Graves, Streicher help Butler prevailDec 31, 2006 - 5:10 AM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- A.J. Graves and Drew Streicher hit clutch baskets in the final two minutes as Butler pulled away for a 55-50 win over Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
The win upped the No. 15 Bulldogs to 13-1 overall and 2-0 in Horizon League play, while the Panthers fell to 3-12, 0-2.
"You have to give credit where credit is due," Wisconsin-Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter said. "Butler's discipline, their ability to stay focused on both ends of the floor, I thought was the difference down the stretch.
"You've got to make free throws and you've got to take care of the basketball if you want to win games when you play like this."
Streicher hit a jumper with two minutes left to put the Bulldogs up for good, 43-42, before Graves sank a layup 20 seconds later for a three-point lead.
Mike Green, who led Butler with 16 points, hit five free throws down the stretch to help clinch the victory. Graves finished with 14 points while Streicher scored six.
Avery Smith led the Panthers with 21 points while Paige Paulson added 17.
Both teams started sluggishly in battling to a 19-19 tie at halftime. Butler shot only 33 percent (6-of-18) while Wisconsin-Milwaukee was also at 33 percent (7-of-21).
"We were not going to take quick shots, we were going to take good shots," Jeter said of the low-scoring first half. "I thought we moved the ball well, and we had the ball in positions where we wanted it. Then we had to make shots with the shot clock running down just like they did."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BUTLER (15) 19 36 55
WISC MILWAUKEE 19 31 50 FINAL
Dec 30 10:22 PM
- NCAA BB
BUTLER (15) 19
WISC MILWAUKEE 19 HALFTIME
Dec 30 8:52 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Milwaukee hires Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan as coach Apr 7
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Fired Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter: It's been a difficult day Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9