Hill lifts Providence past MarquetteJan 5, 2007 - 4:43 AM PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (Ticker) -- Herbert Hill more than made up for the absence of Sharaud Curry.
Hill scored 23 points and Weyinmi Efejuku also provided a spark to lead Providence to a 74-59 victory over No. 21 Marquette in the Big East Conference opener for both schools.
The Friars (11-3, 1-0 Big East) were playing their third straight game without Curry, who is suspended for violating team rules. The point guard leads the team in scoring (17.3 ppg) and assists (5.6 apg).
Hill carried the load in place of Curry, making 9-of-16 shots as the Friars won their third straight game. The senior threw down a dunk with 3:24 remaining to cap a 6-0 surge and give the Friars a 64-50 cushion.
Efejuku added 18 points for Providence, which led the entire final 20 minutes after building a 37-28 halftime lead.
Geoff McDermott and Dwain Williams netted 11 points apiece for the Friars, who shot 50 percent (24-of-48) in winning for the fifth time in six games.
"If you rebound and defend you will win in this league and that always has been a major point of emphasis for our team," Providence coach Tim Welsh said. "I was very impressed with our toughness in the win."
Wesley Matthews scored 14 points and Dominic James and Lazar Hayward added 12 apiece for Marquette (13-3, 0-1 Big East), which was playing just its second road game of the season.
Marquette shot just 31 percent (19-of-61), including a woeful 4-of-23 showing from 3-point range.
"We just got beat by a better team tonight," Marquette coach Tom Crean said. "Providence was very physical and we had a tough time dealing with them in the post tonight. We just allowed too many easy baskets tonight and that's something you can't do in conference play."
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23