Kemp scores 27; Fazekas leaves with ankle injury in Nevada victoryJan 9, 2007 - 6:08 AM RENO, Nevada (Ticker) -- Marcelus Kemp didn't let an ankle injury to star Nick Fazekas slow down Nevada.
Kemp scored 27 points and Ramon Sessions added 21 as the 15th-ranked Wolf Pack edged Boise State, 90-86, in a Western Athletic Conference contest.
Although Nevada (14-1, 2-0 WAC) won its seventh straight game, Fazekas, the two-time conference player of the year, left with an injured left ankle 53 seconds before halftime. He did not return.
The Wolf Pack had a 49-40 lead at the break and were able to hold off the Broncos behind Kemp's 14 second-half points.
"It was a hard-fought game," Nevada coach Mark Fox said. "It was a real battle; both teams played extremely hard. This is a great win and to win with Nick sitting out hurt. The character of the team is defined when they go to school everyday and are good people."
Kemp shot 10-of-20 from the floor, Sessions was 13-of-16 from the foul line and Fazekas finished with 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting and nine rebounds in 15 minutes. He entered averaging 20.8 points and 12.3 rebounds.
"Kemp and Sessions did a great job in the second half and that's what makes them such a good team," Boise State coach Greg Graham said.
Coby Karl scored 22 points on 9-of-15 for Boise State. He knocked down 4-of-7 shots from the arc, grabbed eight rebounds and handed out five assists.
"It was a tough loss and would have been great to get," Graham said. "Coby hit some big shots and I thought we played well enough but we missed some big plays towards the end."
Reggie Larry had 22 points and Matt Nelson had 19 and 13 rebounds for the Broncos (7-6, 1-1), who shot 48 percent (33-of-69), including 10-of-21 from the arc, but converted just 10-of-20 free throws.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BOISE ST 40 46 86
NEVADA (15) 49 41 90 FINAL
Jan 9 12:00 AM
- NCAA BB
BOISE ST 40
NEVADA (15) 49 HALFTIME
Jan 8 10:51 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Boise State blows out Concordia (Ore.) 100-53 Nov 23
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Wyoming upsets Boise State in MWC semis Mar 14
- Cowboys hope to lasso Broncos in MWC semifinals Mar 13
- No. 25 Boise State drops Air Force to reach MWC SFs Mar 12
- Air Force takes on Boise State in MWC quarterfinals Mar 12