Douglas-Roberts' big second half leads MemphisJan 14, 2007 - 5:21 AM HATTIESBURG, Mississippi (Ticker) -- It took a half for Chris Douglas-Roberts to get going.
Douglas-Roberts scored 19 of his 23 points in the second half to lead No. 19 Memphis to a 75-62 victory over Southern Mississippi in a Conference USA matchup.
The Tigers' leading scorer at more than 15 points per game, Douglas-Roberts attempted just one shot in the opening 20 minutes. However, the 6-6 sophomore made his presence thereafter.
Douglas-Roberts finished just 4-of-6 from the field and did most of his damage from the free-throw line, where he went 14-of-17.
As a team, the Tigers went 33-of-46 at the line. Showing his frustration with the amount of free throws, Golden Eagles coach Larry Eustachy was ejected with under three minutes remaining after picking up his second technical foul.
Douglas-Roberts scored six straight points during a 9-0 burst in the second half, which gave the Tigers a 40-32 lead with 15:32 remaining.
After the Golden Eagles (11-4, 1-1) battled back to take a 50-45 lead, Eustachy picked up his first technical foul and Roberts scored the first five points in a 10-4 surge, which put the Tigers on top for good with under 10 minutes remaining.
Joey Dorsey scored 14 points and Robert Dozier 11 for Memphis (13-3, 3-0), which extended its winning streak to a season-high five games.
Craig Craft netted 21 points and Jeremy Wide contributed 13 for the Golden Eagles, who lost for the first time in 11 home games this season.
The Golden Eagles shot just 35 percent (17-of-48) and made 23-of-34 free throws.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MEMPHIS (19) 31 44 75
SOUTHERN MISS 26 36 62 FINAL
Jan 13 10:20 PM
- NCAA BB
MEMPHIS (19) 31
SOUTHERN MISS 26 HALFTIME
Jan 13 9:04 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20