Sessions provides late-game heroics twice as Nevada prevailsJan 14, 2007 - 7:55 AM HONOLULU (Ticker) -- Ramon Sessions and Nevada showed it is more than just a one man team.
Sessions converted clutch layups at the end of regulation and overtime to lift No. 15 Nevada to its ninth straight win, a 68-66 West Coast Conference thriller over Hawaii.
Kyle Shiloh scored 18 points for the Wolf Pack (16-1, 4-0 WAC), who won a second straight game without two-time Western Athletic Conference MVP Nick Fazekas, who is nursing a sprained ankle.
With the game tied, 66-66, Sessions beat his defender off the dribble down the middle of the lane, shifted the ball to his left hand and scored with 27 seconds left in overtime.
Ahmet Gueye, who led Hawaii with 20 points, then missed a short jumper in the lane, but Nevade knocked the rebound out of bounds with seven seconds left. An errant inbounds pass by the Rainbows resulted in a jump ball with 2.2 seconds left with the arrow favoring Nevada.
Sessions got the game into overtime with a layup. After Bobby Nash and Dominic Waters split a pair of free throws to give Hawaii a 62-60 lead with 32 seconds left in regulation, Sessions drove the lane and converted a tough lefthanded drive with 18 seconds remaining.
Hawaii had one more chance in regulation when it set up a play for sharpshooter Matt Lojeski. However he was stripped coming off a screen and lost the ball sending the game to an extra period.
Sessions finished with 19 points on 8-of-18 shooting, added five rebounds and one assist. Marcelus Kemp, who scored 33 points in Thursday's 72-63 triumph over San Jose State, finished with just 11 on 4-of-17 for Nevada, which improved to 2-9 all-time at the Stan Sheriff Center.
Gueye finished with 14 rebounds and Lojeski tallied 17 points for Hawaii (10-7, 1-3).
- NCAA BB
FINAL IN 1ST OT 1ST 2ND 1OT TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
NEVADA (15) 26 35 7 68
HAWAII 30 31 5 66 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 14 2:05 AM
- NCAA BB
NEVADA (15) 61
HAWAII 61 END 2ND HALF, GOING INTO OVERTIME
Jan 14 1:50 AM
- NCAA BB
NEVADA (15) 26
HAWAII 30 HALFTIME
Jan 14 12:47 AM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Hawaii guard Aaron Valdes to turn professional Apr 7
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- U of Hawaii appeals NCAA men's basketball postseason ban Jan 6
- NCAA puts University of Hawaii men's basketball on probation Dec 22
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14