Butler's 3-point blitz sinks Youngstown StateJan 18, 2007 - 6:10 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Butler stayed perfect at home with near-perfect shooting.
Pete Campbell scored a season-high 17 points and the 15th-ranked Bulldogs rode a dazzling 3-point shooting display to a 69-37 Horizon League rout of Youngstown State.
A reserve who was averaging 4.4 points entering the game, Campbell nailed 5-of-5 shots from the arc in the first half, helping Butler connect on 10-of-13 3-pointers in rolling to a 42-18 halftime advantage.
Campbell had 15 points by the break to already surpass his previous season high of 12. In the past three games, the 6-7 junior is 11-of-18 from the arc.
Butler (16-2, 4-1 Horizon) improved to 9-0 at home this seaon and extended its home winning streak to 18 games overall.
With the Bulldogs holding a 16-9 lead, Campbell hit three consecutive 3-pointers in a span of 2:17 to push the lead to 25-9.
Butler didn't stop there, continuing to rain shots down from the arc during the 21-5 spurt that boosted the advantage to 37-14 with five minutes to go. The Bulldogs buried six shots from the arc in the surge - four by Campbell.
The fifth 3-pointer by Campbell gave Butler its largest lead of the half at 40-16, which it maintained at halftime, 42-18.
Mike Green added 16 points and Brandon Crone 10 for the Bulldogs, who finished 14-of-24 from the arc.
Leading scorer A.J. Graves, who missed Saturday's win over South Dakota State due to oral surgery, returned and scored six points, all in the first half. He sat out the second half.
Jack Liles and Quin Humphrey scored nine points apiece for Youngstown State (8-11, 4-4), which fell to 2-11 all-time vs. Butler and 1-16 all-time against ranked teams.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
YOUNGSTOWN ST 18 21 39
BUTLER (15) 42 25 67 FINAL
Jan 17 8:49 PM
- NCAA BB
YOUNGSTOWN ST 18
BUTLER (15) 42 HALFTIME
Jan 17 7:49 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9