Zeno, Texas Tech end Texas A&M's nine-game winning streakJan 25, 2007 - 6:57 AM LUBBOCK, Texas (Ticker) -- Sophomore Martin Zeno helped Texas Tech take down another ranked opponent.
Zeno scored 22 points and came up with the huge steal in the final seconds as the Red Raiders held on for a 70-68 triumph over sixth-ranked Texas A&M, which had its nine-game winning streak ended.
Texas Tech (15-5, 4-1 Big 12) was coming off an impressive 69-64 upset victory over then-No. 5 Kansas last Saturday.
Wednesday's triumph also put an end to the Aggies' 11-game conference winning streak, which was the longest in school history.
In the second half, Aggies' senior Acie Law IV connected on a 3-pointer from the top of the key, breaking a 63-63 tie with 2:20 remaining.
But Charlie Burgess split a pair of free throws and Darryl Dora drained a shot from the arc as the Red Raiders grabbed a 67-66 edge with 1:06 left.
With both teams connecting on just 1-of-2 foul shots, Texas A&M (16-3, 4-1) had a chance to take the lead, but Zeno picked off the inbounds pass from Dominique Kirk with eight seconds left.
Fouled after his steal, Zeno sank both free throws to push the Red Raiders' advantage to 70-67.
With the Aggies still having a chance to tie the contest, Law was fouled after he brought the ball up the court, denying a 3-point attempt. Law made the first and tried to intentionally miss the second but could not hit the rim, turning the ball over to Texas Tech, which dribbled out the clock.
Jon Plefka scored 17 points and Jarrius Jackson added 13 for the Red Raiders, who shot 48 percent (19-of-39) from the field and captured their first win against the Aggies in three tries.
Texas Tech also became the first team to score 70 points against Texas A&M this season.
Law poured in 26 points and Kirk netted 12 for Texas A&M, which absorbed its first conference setback despite shooting 53 percent (25-of-47).
The Aggies were still able push their streak to 30 straight games of holding an opponent under 50 percent shooting - the longest in the country.
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS A&M (6) 34 34 68
TEXAS TECH 34 36 70 FINAL
Jan 24 10:14 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS A&M (6) 34
TEXAS TECH 34 HALFTIME
Jan 24 8:51 PM
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8