Durant magnificent as Texas stymies Texas TechFeb 1, 2007 - 6:59 AM LUBBOCK, Texas (Ticker) -- Freshman Kevin Durant looks ready for the NBA, but is the NBA ready for him?
Durant turned in a stunning performance, scoring 37 points and grabbing a season-high 23 rebounds to lead 23rd-ranked Texas to a 76-64 victory over Texas Tech in a Big 12 Conference matchup.
It was the third 37-point performance in seven games by the 6-9 Durant, who outscored the Red Raiders, 24-22, in the second half while amassing the most rebounds by a Texas player since 1973.
"You saw the best player in college basketball give maybe the best performance in college basketball this year," Longhorns coach Rick Barnes told the American-Statesman of Austin.
And with the exception of a highlight-reel alley-oop dunk to finish off the Longhorns' scoring, they were not pile-on points from Durant.
Texas (16-5, 6-1 Big 12) used a 24-8 run in a span of just over 10 minutes to seize control of the game, rallying from a 50-46 deficit to a 70-58 lead with 4:08 to play.
Durant scored 16 points in the decisive run and classmate D.J. Augustin added eight as the Longhorns beat Texas Tech (15-7,4-3) for the 17th time in 19 games, including eight of nine here.
"Coach told me to get every rebound," Durant told the American-Statesman. "I could have played a little better. I missed some easy shots. I missed some free throws (three)."
Jarrius Jackson was outstanding for the Red Raiders, scoring 27 points on 11-of-22 shooting, but he couldn't match the pace of Durant, who is averaging 33.3 points in conference play.
Durant finished 15-of-29 from the floor and hit 5-of-9 3-pointers to lead Texas to its third straight victory.
Augustin had 14 points and 11 assists while classmates Damion James and Justin Mason scored eight and seven points, respectively, meaning the four freshmen accounted for 66 of the Longhorns' 76 points.
Jon Plefka scored 14 points and Martin Zeno had 13 and 11 rebounds for the Red Raiders, who committed just seven turnovers but were just 9-of-29 from the arc.
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4