Wood leads Wright State's upset over No. 9 ButlerFeb 11, 2007 - 4:49 AM DAYTON, Ohio (Ticker) -- Butler's long range shooting finally backfired.
Dashaun Wood scored 30 points, including 12-of-12 from the free throw line, to lead Wright State to a 77-65 upset victory over the ninth-ranked Bulldogs in a Horizon League showdown.
Drew Burleson netted 16 points and Jordan Pleiman added 10 for the Raiders, who took over sole possession of first place in the conference.
Trailing, 27-23, with 2:56 remaining in the first half, Wright State (19-8, 12-2 Horizon) answered with four consecutive 3-pointers to end the half on a 12-0 run and go to halftime with a 35-27 advantage.
The Bulldogs (23-4, 11-2) closed to within 62-59 on Pete Campbell's 3-pointer with 3:28 to play but could get no closer as Wood answered with a 3-pointer on the next possession.
Wright State converted 12-of-15 free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.
Butler set a school and conference record by making 20-of-33 shots from the arc against Cleveland State on Thursday but finished just 5-of-26 on Saturday.
Brandon Crone scored 17 points for the Bulldogs, who shot 36 percent (22-of-61) from the floor.
Campbell, who hit eight 3-pointers in Thursday's win over Cleveland State and was shooting 62 percent (44-of-71) from the arc in his previous 11 games, hit just 2-of-6 against Wright State.
Butler's leading scorer, A.J. Graves, was held to just 10 points on 3-of-16 shooting including 1-of-9 from the arc.
The Raiders avenged an early-season 73-42 rout at the hands of the Bulldogs on January 16.
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Wright State hires South Dakota State basketball coach Apr 4
- Wright State fires coach Billy Donlon after 6 seasons Mar 19
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9