Providence keeps NCAA hopes alive by beating West VirginiaFeb 21, 2007 - 4:52 AM PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (Ticker) -- Weyinmi Efejuku and Herbert Hill gave Providence just enough offense for a much-needed win.
Efejuku led Providence with 24 points and Hill scored eight of his 12 in the last three minutes as the Friars posted a 64-61 victory over 18th-ranked West Virginia in a Big East Conference contest.
Providence (17-9, 7-6 Big East) needed a victory to keep its NCAA tournament hopes alive after dropping three of its last five games.
Efejuku came out shooting in the second half, scoring the Friars' first seven points and nailing a jumper to cap a 13-2 run during which the Friars grabbed their first lead of the half, 41-39, at the 11:51 mark.
After a layup by De'Sean Butler gave West Virginia the lead back, Efejuku put Providence ahead for good with a 3-pointer at the 7:08 mark that made it 48-46.
The Friars held the Mountaineers to just 32 percent (12-of-38) shooting in the second half to overcome a 30-25 halftime deficit.
West Virginia is fifth in the Big East, knocking down 37 percent of their 3-point attempts per game, but managed to connect on just 9-of-41 attempts against Providence (22 percent).
The Friars used only six players during the game with forward Geoff McDermott and point guard Sharaud Curry playing all 40 minutes. Providence outrebounded West Virginia 41-33. Jonathan Kale led the way with nine boards to go with his nine points.
The win improved Providence's record to 16-2 at home.
Darrius Nichols and Frank Young each scored 14 points for West Virginia.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WEST VIRGINIA (18) 30 31 61
PROVIDENCE 25 39 64 FINAL
Feb 20 9:23 PM
- NCAA BB
WEST VIRGINIA (18) 30
PROVIDENCE 25 HALFTIME
Feb 20 8:16 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Press Virginia meets its match, ousted by Stephen F. Austin Mar 18
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- WVU's goggled junior Devin Williams has opened some eyes Mar 15
- West Virginia's deep bench led by top scorer Jaysean Paige Feb 25
- West Virginia dedicates statue to "Hot Rod" Hundley Feb 20
- West Virginia forward Jonathan Holton reinstated to team Feb 11
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4