McClinton, Miami hand Virginia crucial lossFeb 22, 2007 - 6:51 AM CORAL GABLES, Florida (Ticker) -- Jack McClinton and Miami dealt Virginia's Atlantic Coast Conference title hopes a big blow.
McClinton made some clutch 3-pointers in the second half and the Hurricanes rallied for a 68-60 victory over the Cavaliers.
Miami (11-16, 4-9 ACC) had lost eight of its last nine games to fall into last place in the ACC. The Hurricanes were down, 35-26, at the half but battled back to split the season series with the Cavaliers.
McClinton broke a 58-58 tie with a 3-pointer with 1:05 to play. After J.R. Reynolds made it 61-60 with a pair of free throws, McClinton delivered the dagger, draining a 3-pointer with 25 seconds left to extend the Miami lead to 64-60.
McClinton finished with 14 points for the Hurricanes. Anthony Harris, Dwayne Collins and Brian Asbury each added 11 and Collins also had 14 rebounds.
Virginia had won nine of its last 10 to move into the top 20 and into a tie atop the ACC with North Carolina. The Tar Heels defeated North Carolina State on Wednesday to move into sole possession of first place in the ACC.
Sean Singletary scored 17 for Virginia, which led, 35-26, at the half.
The Cavaliers shot 50 percent (12-of-24) from the field in the opening 20 minutes but were ice cold after the break. Virginia made only 6-of-22 (27 percent) shots and was outscored, 42-25, in the second half.
Reynolds had 13 points and Jamil Tucker 11 for the Cavaliers.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
VIRGINIA (19) 35 25 60
MIAMI FL 26 42 68 FINAL
Feb 21 9:31 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA (19) 35
MIAMI FL 26 HALFTIME
Feb 21 8:16 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18