Florida struggles past ArkansasJan 10, 2007 - 7:06 AM GAINESVILLE, Florida (Ticker) -- Florida didn't make many of its trademark 3-pointers, but the Gators made them count.
Lee Humphrey hit two big shots from the arc in the final six minutes to help second-ranked Florida post a 79-72 victory over Arkansas in the Southeastern Conference.
The Gators (15-2, 2-0 SEC East) extended their winning streak to eight games, but they had their hands full with the Razorbacks (12-4, 1-1 SEC West).
Arkansas erased a 10-point second-half deficit with a 14-3 spurt capped by Patrick Beverley's 3-pointer for a 54-53 lead with 10:24 left.
But with Florida ahead by three, Taurean Green buried a 3-pointer and Humphrey followed with one from the arc for a 65-56 lead with 5:36 to play. To that point, the Gators were 3-of-12 from the arc and had missed all four attempts in the second half.
A layup by Beverley pulled the Razorbacks within 69-63, but Humphrey supplied the dagger, hitting another 3-pointer to make it 72-63 with 1:05 to play.
The game followed that tone throughout, with Florida repelling repeated challenges from Arkansas.
Behind seven points from guard Taurean Green, the Gators bolted to an 18-6 lead with 12:45 left in the half. The Razorbacks twice cut the deficit to four points, only to fall behind by seven with 1:22 left.
Forward Sonny Weems scored on a layup and a dunk and Gary Ervin had a follow shot just before the buzzer to bring the Razorbacks within 37-36 at halftime.
Florida opened the lead to double digits, using an 11-2 run to forge a 50-40 advantage with 13:43 remaining.
Weems and Darian Townes again rallied Arkansas, which took its first and only lead on Beverley's 3-pointer.
Green scored 17 points to lead five players in double figures for the Gators, who shot 49 percent (28-of-57) and 6-of-15 from 3-point range. Corey Brewer added 13 points and Humphrey and Joakim Noah 11 each.
Townes paced Arkansas with 18 points, including 11 in the second half, while Weems added 13.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARKANSAS 36 36 72
FLORIDA (2) 37 42 79 FINAL
Jan 9 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA (2) 37 HALFTIME
Jan 9 7:52 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Anderson has NCAA tourney in sights next season for Arkansas Mar 22
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7