Virginia Tech stuns top-ranked North CarolinaJan 13, 2007 - 11:12 PM BLACKSBURG, Virginia (Ticker) -- There was nothing Hokie about Virginia Tech's win over No. 1 North Carolina.
With superior athleticism and energy, the Hokies stormed to a 94-88 Atlantic Coast Conference victory over North Carolina, which had a 12-game winning streak snapped and will tumble from the top of the rankings.
Zabian Dowdell scored 23 points for Virginia Tech (13-4, 3-0 ACC), which had a huge run in each half to end an 18-game slide in the all-time series. The Hokies have beaten perennial powers Duke and North Carolina in an eight-day span.
No player on Tech's roster had been born the last time the Hokies beat a top-ranked team, toppling Memphis State in 1983. They are 2-5 all-time vs. No. 1 teams.
North Carolina (15-2, 2-1) had not lost since a setback to Gonzaga on November 22. But the Tar Heels repeated their sluggish showing from Wednesday's win over Virginia, and the Hokies pounced.
Tech trailed, 21-13, before holding the Tar Heels scoreless for nearly five minutes and rattling off 17 straight points to take the lead for good. A jumper by Jamon Gordon capped the outburst at 30-21.
Virginia Tech held a 47-37 halftime lead and still owned a 51-40 advantage with 17:17 to play when Dowdell hobbled off temporarily with a sprained ankle. Without one of their key players, the Hokies extended the lead with a 17-4 surge.
Gordon had a steal and lefthanded dunk, then capped the run with a layup that made it 66-44 with 12:08 to go.
North Carolina made a desperate late push to make it a one-possession game in the final minute, but Virginia Tech held on for its fourth straight win.
Tyler Hansbrough scored 19 points for the Tar Heels.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA (1) 37 51 88
VIRGINIA TECH 47 47 94 FINAL
Jan 13 6:00 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH CAROLINA (1) 37
VIRGINIA TECH 47 HALFTIME
Jan 13 4:31 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31