Brooks leads Oregon past CaliforniaJan 21, 2007 - 6:20 AM EUGENE, Oregon (Ticker) -- Aaron Brooks' big second half kept Oregon atop the Pac-10 Conference standings.
Brooks scored 15 of his 22 points in the second half to lead the No. 10 Ducks to a 92-84 triumph over California.
Oregon (18-1, 6-1 Pac-10) used a decisive 17-4 run to open the final 20 minutes and climb back from a 46-38 halftime deficit. Maarty Leunen's layup with 15 minutes to play gave the Ducks a 55-50 lead and they never looked back thereafter.
"There is no need for us to panic because we have so much talent on this team," Oregon coach Ernie Kent said. "We are playing in harmony this year, everyone knows that they can share the ball and still get their own numbers."
The victory kept Oregon tied for first with second-ranked UCLA, which defeated No. 12 Arizona earlier in the day.
"They got off to a big lead," Brooks said. "We need to start every game like it's the second half. If there's something we need to improve on, that is it."
Malik Hairston scored 19 points and Tajuan Porter added 15 for the Ducks, who shot 56 percent (30-of-53), including 12-of-23 from 3-point range.
Ayinde Ubaka and Omar Wilkes each had 17 points for the Golden Bears (12-7, 4-3), who had a three-game league road winning streak snapped despite shooting 52 percent (31-of-59), including 10-of-20 from the arc.
"It's frustrating obviously to put those kinds of numbers on the board," California coach Ben Braun said. "Those stats are usually enough to beat most teams and it was not tonight. Give Oregon credit. They came out with an explosive second half. They hit some tough shots."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CALIFORNIA 46 38 84
OREGON (10) 38 54 92 FINAL
Jan 20 10:02 PM
- NCAA BB
OREGON (10) 38 HALFTIME
Jan 20 8:49 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17