Gordon's triple-double leads Mississippi StateFeb 22, 2007 - 3:54 AM STARKVILLE, Mississippi (Ticker) -- Jamont Gordon's triple-double led Mississippi State to an 83-70 rout over 21st-ranked Vanderbilt in a Southeastern Conference contest.
Gordon had 15 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists to complete just the second triple-double in Bulldogs history.
Charles Rhodes had 23 points and Dietric Slater added 18 for Mississippi State, which shot 53 percent (31-of-58) from the floor and snapped a 13-game losing streak against ranked opponents.
The Bulldogs bullied the Commodores on the inside, holding a 41-31 edge and finishing with a 38-20 edge in points in the paint.
Mississippi State (16-10, 7-6 SEC West) took control as Rhodes scored six points during a 14-4 opening run. Gordon had 11 points in the first half as the Bulldogs took a 45-27 lead into the break.
Barry Stewart's 3-pointer gave Mississippi State its largest lead of the game, a 64-37 bulge with 13:33 left in the game.
Vanderbilt (18-9, 8-5 SEC East) failed to build on the momentum it gained by upsetting No. 1 Florida on Saturday. The Commodores could not get going from beyond the arc, finishing just 11-of-30. Dan Cage led Vanderbilt with 12 points.
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Big swing: Stumbling Vanderbilt revives NCAA tourney hopes Feb 25
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23