McClinton shoots Miami past Maryland in ACC upsetMar 9, 2007 - 6:35 AM TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) -- Maryland emerged as the giant-killer in the Atlantic Coast Conference over the past few weeks. Perhaps the Terrapins overlooked also-ran Miami.
Jack McClinton scored 17 points as Miami held on for a 67-62 upset of 20th-ranked Maryland in the first round of the ACC Tournament.
The Terrapins (24-8) closed out the regular season on a seven-game winning streak with a pair of victories over Duke and an upset of North Carolina.
But Maryland got off to a slow start Thursday and trailed by as many as 14 points in the first half.
Playing in front of a largely partisan crowd, the Hurricanes (12-19) reeled off a 14-4 run midway through the first half and built a 37-24 lead at the break. McClinton netted seven points during the pivotal surge.
Dwayne Collins had 12 points and 12 rebounds for 12th-seeded Miami, which will play fourth-seeded Boston College in Friday's quarterfinals.
A pair of former Big East squads, the Hurricanes have lost their last 11 meetings with the Eagles, including a pair by a combined 26 points.
Brian Asbury scored 12 points and Jimmy Graham added nine, seven rebounds and five blocks for the Hurricanes, who finished with a 42-34 advantage on the boards and rejected seven shots.
Beating Maryland for the second time this season, Miami improved to 4-3 against ranked opponents.
Mike Jones scored 15 points to pace the fifth-seeded Terrapins, who shot 39 percent (22-of-57) from the field, including 3-of-18 on 3-pointers.
D.J. Strawberry finished with 13 points and James Gist added 12 and eight rebounds for Maryland, which was doomed by an inability to control its defensive glass, getting outclassed in second-chance points, 23-8.
- ACC TOURNAMENT
AT TAMPA FL
NCAA BB ACC TOURNAMENT
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MIAMI FL 37 30 67
MARYLAND (20) 24 38 62 FINAL
Mar 8 4:40 PM
- ACC TOURNAMENT
AT TAMPA FL
NCAA BB MIAMI FL 37
MARYLAND (20) 24 HALFTIME
Mar 8 3:21 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19