Abrams shoots No. 16 Texas past New Mexico StateNov 24, 2007 - 3:01 AM By Ian Parker Special to PA SportsTicker
NEWARK, New Jersey (Ticker) - A.J. Abrams continued his hot form from 3-point range, but an ailment robbed him of a place in Texas history.
The junior guard hit a barrage of 3-pointers to help No. 16 Texas to a 102-87 victory over New Mexico State in the semifinals of the Legends Classic on Friday.
But having made of 9-of-12 from the arc, Abrams suffered a cramp in his right leg with 10:51 to go in the second half.
After lengthy treatment, he returned with 7:51 to go but failed to make the final 3-pointer he needed to tie the single-game school record of 10 set by Al Coleman in 1997.
Abrams took his season tally of 3-pointers to 22 as he seeks to break his own Big 12 single-season record of 120 set in 2006-07.
"You see it happen in practice all the time," Longhorns coach Rick Barnes said. "When he gets going he can really shoot the ball."
Finishing with 31 points, Abrams broke his previous career-high 30 set just five days ago against Arkansas-Monticello.
With Abrams struggling late in the game, D.J. Augustin picked up the slack to ensure the Longhorns (4-0) stayed in front of a New Mexico State team with plenty of fight in it.
"I give credit to my teammates," Abrams said. "D.J. draws a lot of attention and he's always gonna find the open man."
Augustin scored 25 points, shooting 11-of-15 from the field.
D.J. and A.J., they're both great player, they're both NBA players," Aggies coach Marvin Menzies said. "They played like it tonight and they have been playing like it."
"We have a lot of confidence in what A.J. and D.J. can do," Barnes said. "D.J. was very good. When they were trying to make a push, he has the answers."
The long ball was a theme in this game. The Aggies (2-3) had 13 of their own as the teams combined to hit 29 from the arc.
All five Texas starters scored in double figures. Connor Atchley had 15 points, Damion Jones 12 and Justin Mason 11.
Jonathan Gibson scored 20 points and Justin Hawkins had 19 for New Mexico State.
- LEGENDS CLASSIC
AT NEWARK NJ
NCAA BB LEGENDS CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS (16) 57 45 102
NEW MEXICO ST 46 41 87 FINAL
Nov 23 8:58 PM
- LEGENDS CLASSIC
AT NEWARK NJ
NCAA BB (16) TEXAS 57
NEW MEXICO ST 46 HALFTIME
Nov 23 7:49 PM
- New Mexico State's Weir adds Henson as an Aggie adviser May 11
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13