Arizona posts first win at UNLVDec 20, 2007 - 7:57 AM LAS VEGAS (Ticker) -- Arizona broke a long hex at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Jordan Hill scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds to lead the 19th-ranked Wildcats to a 52-49 victory over Nevada-Las Vegas.
Jawann McClellan added 16 points, including a huge 3-pointer with 26 seconds to play, as Arizona (8-2) beat the Runnin' Rebels for the first time in seven matchups in Sin City.
The Wildcats trailed by eight points in each half and never led until Nic Wise hit a single free throw for a 49-48 lead with 1:18 to play.
McClellan then drilled a 3-pointer from deep in the left corner to extend the margin to 52-48 with 26 ticks remaining.
After one free throw by Curtis Terry pulled UNLV (7-3) within 52-49, Hill had a chance to wrap it up, but he missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 3.8 seconds to play.
Terry took the inbound pass but could only manage a 35-foot tying attempt that was well off the mark.
Wink Adams scored 19 points to lead UNLV, including a 3-pointer that gave the Runnin' Rebels a 48-44 lead with 4:15 to play. As it turned out, that would be their last field goal of the game.
Joe Darger had six straight points to spark UNLV to a 40-32 lead with 13:11 left to play. He finished with 13.
But Wise and Bayless buried consecutive 3-pointers to pull Arizona within two points and the game stayed tight the rest of the way.
UNLV got off to a fast start in the contest behind Adams, who scored 10 points in the first eight minutes to lift the Runnin' Rebels to a 16-8 lead.
Chase Budinger and Wise nailed 3-pointers to get the Wildcats within 18-16, but Adams hit a jumper and two free throws to extend the margin to 26-19 with 5:13 left in the half.
Adams had 14 of UNLV's first 26 points but did not score again until there was 8:09 left in the game, a drought of 17 minutes.
Two baskets by Hill, who had averaged 17 points in his previous three games, helped Arizona go to the half trailing, 30-28.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARIZONA (19) 28 24 52
UNLV 30 19 49 FINAL
Dec 20 12:04 AM
- NCAA BB
(19) ARIZONA 28
UNLV 30 HALFTIME
Dec 19 10:50 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2