Lopez steps up as Stanford slips past Arizona StateJan 20, 2008 - 7:25 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Brook Lopez scored 19 points and pulled down 16 rebounds to lead Stanford to a 68-52 comeback win over 25th-ranked Arizona State on Saturday in a Pac-10 Conference battle.
Anthony Goods added 14 points for the Cardinal, who scored 48 points in the second half after totaling just 20 in the opening 20 minutes.
Lopez scored 16 of his 19 points in the second half, including a personal 10-0 run that took Stanford (15-3, 4-2 Pac-10) from a two-point deficit to a 50-42 lead with 6:10 left. It marked the second straight 19-point outburst for Lopez, who led the Cardinal to a 56-52 win over Arizona on Thursday.
Arizona State (14-3, 4-1) entered the contest ranked for the first time since 1995 and riding a 10-game winning streak following a hard-fought double overtime victory over California on Thursday.
It looked like the Sun Devils would cruise to their first 5-0 start in Pac-10 history when they closed the first half up 30-20 due in part to a 7-of-7 effort at the free-throw line.
But the second half proved to be a different story, as Arizona State shot just 5-of-19 in the period and missed 9-of-14 free throws.
Goods, Lopez and Mitch Johnson combined for 15 points over the final 5:26 to seal the win for the Cardinal.
"I thought they were incredibly physical," Arizona State coach Herb Sendek told the San Francisco Chronicle. "They really beat us up."
Stanford - thanks mainly to Lopez - dominated on the glass, winning the rebounding battle, 39-25, and scoring 32 points in the paint. The Cardinal also forced 14 turnovers - leading to 15 points.
Jeff Pendergraph, who scored 26 points in the win over California, managed just seven points on 3-of-10 shooting while getting called for four fouls.
Freshman guard James Harden led the Sun Devils with 16 points and Ty Abbott added 12 on 3-of-6 shooting.
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18