Anderson leads balanced effort in win over La SalleFeb 3, 2008 - 6:58 AM CINCINNATI (Ticker) -- Xavier spread the ball around in continuing its dominance of La Salle.
C.J. Anderson led six players in double figures with 16 points as the No. 15 Musketeers used a big push in the first half en route to a 75-62 victory over the Explorers in the Atlantic 10 Conference on Saturday.
Josh Duncan scored 12 points and Derrick Brown and Stanley Burrell added 11 apiece for Xavier (18-4, 6-1 A-10), which beat La Salle for the 20th time in 24 league meetings dating back to 1995-96.
The Musketeers also posted their 10th win in their last 11 games in remaining tied with St. Joseph's for the top spot in the league.
Jason Love and Drew Lavender chipped 10 points for Xavier, which is 15-0 this season when four or more players score in double figures.
A team that was riding a three-game road winning streak, La Salle (8-12, 3-4) took a 20-16 lead 8:49 into the contest on the strength of an 11-2 run.
However, Xavier was able to responded with a bigger run, pulling back ahead 33-24 with 4:01 left behind a 17-4 spurt. Lavender hit two 3-pointers and scored eight points during the burst.
The Musketeers, who have won their last seven home games, held a 37-30 advantage at the half, and extended it to 48-35 on a layup by Lavender with 15:06 remaining.
Although the Explorers followed with a 7-2 run, Anderson came up with two offensive rebounds on the Musketeers' next possession before converting a layup to make it 52-42 with 13:18 to play.
La Salle once again made a push, closing within four at 59-55 with 8:03 left, by B.J. Raymond hit a 3-pointer - his only basket of the game - and Burrell converted all eight of his free throws inside the final six minutes to seal the win.
Anderson finished 6-of-10 from the field, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked three shots.
Brown also pulled down seven boards and Duncan added six for Xavier, which still came up short in the rebound battle at 34-32.
The Musketeers made up for that deficit by making 29 trips to the free-throw line, converting 76 percent (22-of-29).
Rodney Green scored 18 points and Jerrell Williams chipped in 16 for the Explorers, who went 11-of-19 (58 percent) on free throws and committed 16 turnovers.
Yves Mekongo Mbala finished with 13 points and 11 rebounds for La Salle, which lost for the third time in four games.
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27
- Arizona and Xavier collide in Sweet 16 Mar 26